Part V — Airworthiness (continued)
Subpart 73 — Approved Maintenance Organizations (continued)
Division I — General (continued)
Person Responsible for Maintenance
573.04 (1) The person responsible for maintenance shall, within 30 days after their appointment under paragraph 573.03(1)(a), submit to the Minister a signed statement that they accept the responsibilities of their position.
(2) [Repealed, SOR/2019-295, s. 12]
(3) The person responsible for maintenance shall, where a finding resulting from a quality assurance program established under subsection 573.09(1) or a safety management system referred to in section 573.30 is reported to them,
(a) determine what, if any, corrective actions are required and carry out those actions;
(b) keep a record of any determination made under paragraph (a) and the reason for it;
(c) if management functions have been assigned to another person under subsection (4) or (5), communicate any determination regarding a corrective action to that person; and
(d) notify the accountable executive of any systemic deficiency and of the corrective action taken.
(4) The person responsible for maintenance may assign the management functions for the entire quality assurance program established under subsection 573.09(1) or for the safety management system referred to in 573.30 to another person if
(5) The person responsible for maintenance may assign the management functions for specific maintenance activities to another person if the assignment and its scope are described in the AMO’s MPM.
(6) The responsibility of the person responsible for maintenance is not affected by the assignment to another person of management functions under subsection (4) or (5).
- SOR/2005-173, s. 16
- SOR/2019-295, s. 12
Authorization to Sign a Maintenance Release
573.05 (1) No approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate holder shall authorize a person to sign a maintenance release unless the person meets the applicable requirements of section 571.11 and has successfully completed the training required by section 573.06.
(2) No AMO certificate holder shall authorize a person to sign a maintenance release under paragraph 571.11(2)(c) unless the person has, in respect of the work being certified, demonstrated to the certificate holder levels of knowledge and experience that are appropriate and that meet the applicable criteria set out in section 573.05 of Standard 573 — Approved Maintenance Organizations.
- SOR/2005-173, s. 17
573.06 (1) An approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate holder shall implement a training program to ensure that persons authorized to perform or supervise the performance of any function under this Subpart are trained in respect of the regulations, the standards and the AMO procedures applicable to that function.
(2) The program required by subsection (1) shall include initial training, updating and any other training necessary, within the meaning assigned to those terms in section 573.06 of Standard 573 — Approved Maintenance Organizations, to ensure continued qualification that is appropriate to the function to be performed or supervised.
- SOR/2005-173, s. 18
(a) all personal qualifications in respect of appointments made pursuant to section 573.03 and in respect of assignments of functions made pursuant to section 573.04;
(b) all of the authorizations to sign a maintenance release pursuant to section 573.05; and
(c) all of the training conducted pursuant to section 573.06.
(2) An AMO certificate holder shall provide a copy of a record required by this section to the person to whom the record refers on the completion of each training activity or the granting of an authorization referred to in paragraph (1)(b).
Facilities, Equipment, Standards and Procedures
573.08 (1) An approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate holder shall provide the facilities and equipment specified in Standard 573 —Approved Maintenance Organizations that are necessary for the work to be performed.
(2) Except in cases provided for in a maintenance policy manual (MPM), work performed by an AMO certificate holder shall be performed in the facilities required by subsection (1), unless unforeseen circumstances do not permit the work to be performed in those facilities and the safety of the aircraft is not affected by the fact that the work is performed elsewhere.
(3) Where an AMO uses standards equivalent to those of the manufacturer of an aeronautical product for the performance of work pursuant to paragraph 571.02(1)(b), those standards shall be identified in accordance with section 573.10.
(4) Where a task undertaken by an AMO is divided into sub-tasks, the person appointed pursuant to section 573.03 shall establish a system of task control to ensure that all of the sub-tasks are completed prior to the signing of a maintenance release in respect of the completion of that task.
- SOR/2005-173, s. 28
Quality Assurance Program
573.09 (1) The holder of an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate shall establish and maintain a quality assurance program consisting of provisions for sampling maintenance processes to evaluate the AMO’s ability to perform its maintenance in a safe manner.
(2) The person responsible for maintenance shall ensure that records relating to the findings resulting from the quality assurance program are distributed to the appropriate manager for corrective action and follow-up in accordance with the policies and procedures specified in the maintenance policy manual (MPM).
(3) The person responsible for maintenance shall establish an audit system in respect of the quality assurance program that consists of the following:
(a) an initial audit within 12 months after the date on which the AMO certificate is issued;
(b) subsequent audits conducted at intervals set out in the MPM;
(c) checklists of all activities controlled by the MPM;
(d) a record of each occurrence of compliance or non-compliance with the MPM found during an audit referred to in paragraph (a) or (b);
(e) procedures for ensuring that each finding of an audit is communicated to them and, if management functions have been assigned to another person under subsection 573.04(4) or (5), to that person;
(f) follow-up procedures for ensuring that corrective actions are effective; and
(g) a system for recording the findings of initial and periodic audits, corrective actions and follow-ups.
(4) The records required under paragraph (3)(g) shall be retained for the greater of
(5) The duties related to the quality assurance program that involve specific tasks or activities within an AMO’s activities shall be fulfilled by persons who are not responsible for carrying out those tasks or activities.
- SOR/2005-173, s. 19
Maintenance Policy Manual
573.10 (1) An approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate holder shall establish, maintain and authorize the use of a maintenance policy manual (MPM) that contains information to ensure the efficiency of the AMO’s maintenance policies, dealing with the subjects set out in Standard 573 —Approved Maintenance Organizations.
(2) The Minister may authorize the incorporation by reference in an MPM of detailed procedures manuals and lists prepared by the AMO certificate holder, dealing with the subjects set out in Standard 573 —Approved Maintenance Organizations, where
(3) Where detailed procedures manuals or lists are being incorporated by reference in an MPM, the person appointed pursuant to section 573.03 or another person to whom that management function is assigned pursuant to section 573.04 shall certify in writing that the incorporated documents and every amendment thereto meet the requirements of the policy established in the MPM with respect to those documents.
(4) An AMO certificate holder need not conform to the policy and procedures contained in its MPM, where the Minister has authorized the non-conformity in writing, after it has been demonstrated that such non-conformity would not affect the safety of the aeronautical product to be maintained or the maintenance service to be offered.
(5) An AMO certificate holder shall submit each page of its MPM to the Minister for approval, either individually or in accordance with a procedure that ensures compliance with the requirements of Standard 573 —Approved Maintenance Organizations.
(6) An AMO certificate holder shall amend its MPM when instructed to do so by the Minister, where the MPM does not
(7) An AMO certificate holder shall take steps to ensure that a current copy of its MPM, or the portions thereof that are relevant to the task to be performed, is made available to each person who performs or certifies that task.
(8) An AMO certificate holder shall amend each copy of its MPM within 30 days after receiving an approval issued pursuant to subsection (5).
(9) The Minister shall, if the standards set out in Standard 573 —Approved Maintenance Organizations are met, approve an MPM and any amendments to that manual.
- SOR/2000-404, s. 12
- SOR/2005-173, s. 28
- Date modified: