Marginal note:Industry overview
52. (1) Each year before the end of May, the Minister shall, using the most current information available, prepare and lay before both Houses of Parliament a report providing a brief overview of the state of transportation in Canada.
Marginal note:Industry review
(2) Every five years, the report referred to in subsection (1) shall be expanded to a comprehensive review of the state of transportation in Canada which shall include
(a) the financial performance of each mode of transportation and its contribution to the Canadian economy;
(b) the extent to which carriers and modes of transportation were provided resources, facilities and services at public expense;
(c) the extent to which carriers and modes of transportation received compensation, indi- rectly and directly, for the resources, facilities and services that were required to be provided as an imposed public duty;
(c.1) the long term outlook and trends in transportation in Canada; and
(d) any other transportation matters that the Minister considers appropriate.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 52;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 11.
Review of Act
Marginal note:Statutory review
53. (1) The Minister shall, no later than eight years after the day this subsection comes into force, appoint one or more persons to carry out a comprehensive review of the operation of this Act and any other Act of Parliament for which the Minister is responsible that pertains to the economic regulation of a mode of transportation or to transportation activities under the legislative authority of Parliament.
Marginal note:Objective of review
(2) The person or persons conducting the review shall assess whether the legislation referred to in subsection (1) provides Canadians with a transportation system that is consistent with the national transportation policy set out in section 5 and, if necessary or desirable, may recommend amendments to
(a) the national transportation policy; and
(b) the legislation referred to in subsection (1).
(3) The review shall be undertaken in consultation with purchasers and suppliers of transportation services and any other persons whom the Minister considers appropriate.
Marginal note:Powers on review
(4) Every person appointed to carry out the review has, for the purposes of the review, the powers of a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act and may engage the services of experts, professionals and other staff deemed necessary for making the review at the rates of remuneration that the Treasury Board approves.
(5) The review shall be completed and a report of the review submitted to the Minister within 18 months after the appointment referred to in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Tabling of report
(6) The Minister shall have a copy of the report laid before each House of Parliament on any of the first thirty days on which that House is sitting after the Minister receives it.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 53;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 12.
- Date modified: