Canadian Transportation Agency
Continuation and Organization
Marginal note:Agency continued
7. (1) The agency known as the National Transportation Agency is continued as the Canadian Transportation Agency.
Marginal note:Composition of Agency
(2) The Agency shall consist of not more than five members appointed by the Governor in Council, and such temporary members as are appointed under subsection 9(1), each of whom must, on appointment or reappointment and while serving as a member, be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Marginal note:Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
(3) The Governor in Council shall designate one of the members appointed under paragraph (2)(a) to be the Chairperson of the Agency and one of the other members appointed under that paragraph to be the Vice-Chairperson of the Agency.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 7;
- 2001, c. 27, s. 221;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 3.
Marginal note:Term of members
8. (1) Each member appointed under paragraph 7(2)(a) shall hold office during good behaviour for a term of not more than five years and may be removed for cause by the Governor in Council.
(2) A member appointed under paragraph 7(2)(a) is eligible to be reappointed on the expiration of a first or subsequent term of office.
Marginal note:Continuation in office
(3) If a member appointed under subsection 7(2) ceases to hold office, the Chairperson may authorize the member to continue to hear any matter that was before the member on the expiry of the member’s term of office and that member is deemed to be a member of the Agency, but that person’s status as a member does not preclude the appointment of up to five members under subsection 7(2) or up to three temporary members under subsection 9(1).
- 1996, c. 10, s. 8;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 4.
Marginal note:Temporary members
9. (1) The Minister may appoint temporary members of the Agency from the roster of individuals established by the Governor in Council under subsection (2).
(2) The Governor in Council may appoint any individual to a roster of candidates for the purpose of subsection (1).
Marginal note:Maximum number
(3) Not more than three temporary members shall hold office at any one time.
Marginal note:Term of temporary members
(4) A temporary member shall hold office during good behaviour for a term of not more than one year and may be removed for cause by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:No reappointment
(5) A person who has served two consecutive terms as a temporary member is not, during the twelve months following the completion of the person’s second term, eligible to be reappointed to the Agency as a temporary member.
- Date modified: