PART 4Actions (continued)
Summary Judgment and Summary Trial (continued)
Marginal note:Stay of execution
219 On granting judgment under rule 215 or 216, the Court may order that enforcement of the judgment be stayed pending the determination of any other issue in the action or in a counterclaim or third party claim.
- SOR/2009-331, s. 3
Questions of Law
Marginal note:Preliminary determination of question of law or admissibility
Marginal note:Contents of determination
(2) Where, on a motion under subsection (1), the Court orders that a question be determined, it shall
Marginal note:Determination final
(3) A determination of a question referred to in subsection (1) is final and conclusive for the purposes of the action, subject to being varied on appeal.
Striking Out Pleadings
Marginal note:Motion to strike
(a) discloses no reasonable cause of action or defence, as the case may be,
(b) is immaterial or redundant,
(c) is scandalous, frivolous or vexatious,
(d) may prejudice or delay the fair trial of the action,
(e) constitutes a departure from a previous pleading, or
(f) is otherwise an abuse of the process of the Court,
and may order the action be dismissed or judgment entered accordingly.
(2) No evidence shall be heard on a motion for an order under paragraph (1)(a).
Discovery and Inspection
Discovery of Documents
Definition of document
222 (1) In rules 223 to 232 and 295, document includes an audio recording, a video recording, a film, a photograph, a chart, a graph, a map, a plan, a survey and a book of account, as well as data that is recorded or stored on any medium in or by a computer system or other similar device and that can be read or perceived by a person or a computer system or other similar device.
(2) For the purposes of rules 223 to 232 and 295, a document of a party is relevant if the party intends to rely on it or if the document tends to adversely affect the party’s case or to support another party’s case.
- SOR/2015-21, s. 17
Marginal note:Time for service of affidavit of documents
(2) An affidavit of documents shall be in Form 223 and shall contain
(a) separate lists and descriptions of all relevant documents that
(i) are in the possession, power or control of the party and for which no privilege is claimed,
(ii) are or were in the possession, power or control of the party and for which privilege is claimed,
(iii) were but are no longer in the possession, power or control of the party and for which no privilege is claimed, and
(iv) the party believes are in the possession, power or control of a person who is not a party to the action;
(b) a statement of the grounds for each claim of privilege in respect of a document;
(c) a description of how the party lost possession, power or control of any document and its current location, as far as the party can determine;
(d) the identity of each person referred to in subparagraph (a)(iv), including the person’s name and address, if known;
(e) a statement that the party is not aware of any relevant document, other than those that are listed in the affidavit or are or were in the possession, power or control of another party to the action; and
(f) an indication of the time and place at which the documents referred to in subparagraph (a)(i) may be inspected.
Marginal note:Document within party’s power or control
(3) For the purposes of subsection (2), a document shall be considered to be within a party’s power or control if
Marginal note:Bundle of documents
(4) A party may treat a bundle of documents as a single document for the purposes of an affidavit of documents if
Marginal note:Deponent of affidavit of documents
(a) where the party is an individual who is not under a legal disability, the party;
(b) where the party is an individual under a legal disability, a person appointed under rule 115;
(c) where the party is a corporation or an unincorporated association, an authorized representative of the corporation or association; or
(d) where the party is the Crown, an authorized representative of the Crown.
Marginal note:Obligations of deponent
(2) The deponent of an affidavit of documents shall, before making the affidavit, become informed by making reasonable inquiries of any present or former officer, servant, agent or employee of the party, including any who are outside Canada, who might reasonably be expected to have knowledge relating to any matter in question in the action.
Marginal note:Obligations of solicitor
(3) The solicitor of record for a party shall
Marginal note:Order for disclosure
225 On motion, the Court may order a party to disclose in an affidavit of documents all relevant documents that are in the possession, power or control of
(a) where the party is an individual, any corporation that is controlled directly or indirectly by the party; or
(b) where the party is a corporation,
Marginal note:Need for continuing disclosure
226 (1) A party who becomes aware that its affidavit of documents is inaccurate or deficient shall, without delay, serve a supplementary affidavit of documents correcting the inaccuracy or deficiency.
(2) A document produced and marked as an exhibit on an examination need not be included in a supplementary affidavit of documents.
- Date modified: