Marginal note:Voting by special ballot
258. (1) The elector shall vote by writing on the special ballot the name of the candidate of his or her choice, folding the special ballot and, in the presence of the deputy returning officer,
(a) placing the ballot in the inner envelope and sealing the envelope; and
(b) placing the inner envelope in the outer envelope and sealing the outer envelope.
Marginal note:Writing candidate’s name
(2) The candidate shall be indicated on a special ballot by writing the candidate’s given name or initials and surname. If two or more candidates have the same name, their political affiliations shall be indicated.
Marginal note:Spoiled special ballot
(3) If an elector has inadvertently handled a special ballot in such a manner that it cannot be used, the elector shall return it to the deputy returning officer who shall mark it as a spoiled ballot and give the elector another special ballot.
(4) An elector shall not be given more than one special ballot under subsection (3).
259. (1) If an elector is unable to read or because of a physical disability is unable to vote under this Division, the deputy returning officer shall assist the elector by
(a) completing the declaration on the outer envelope and writing the elector’s name where his or her signature is to be written; and
(b) marking the special ballot as directed by the elector in his or her presence and in the presence of the poll clerk.
Marginal note:Note on outer envelope
(2) The deputy returning officer and the poll clerk shall sign a note on the outer envelope indicating that the elector was assisted.
Marginal note:Delivery of documents after the vote
260. Without delay after the votes have been cast at a correctional institution, the deputy returning officer shall deliver to the liaison officer for the institution
(a) the outer envelopes that contain the marked special ballots;
(b) any unused or spoiled outer envelopes;
(c) any unused or spoiled special ballots and unused inner envelopes; and
(d) the applications for registration and special ballot.
Marginal note:Deadline for return of election material
261. Every liaison officer shall ensure that the election material referred to in section 260 is received by the special voting rules administrator in Ottawa no later than 6:00 p.m. on polling day.
Marginal note:Integration into final list of electors
262. The applications for registration and special ballot shall be integrated into the final list of electors referred to in section 109.
- Date modified: