Definition of “elector”
244. For the purpose of this Division, “elector” means an incarcerated elector.
Marginal note:Entitlement to vote
245. (1) Every person who is incarcerated and who is otherwise qualified to vote under this Act is entitled to vote under this Division on the 10th day before polling day.
Marginal note:Exercise of right to vote
(2) An elector is not entitled to vote under this Division unless he or she has signed an application for registration and special ballot under section 251 and a declaration described in section 257.
Marginal note:Vote to be in electoral district
(3) An elector is entitled to vote under this Division only for a candidate in the electoral district in which his or her place of ordinary residence is situated as shown on the application for registration and special ballot made by the elector under section 251.
Marginal note:Designation of coordinating officers
246. The ministers responsible for corrections in the provinces shall each designate a person as a coordinating officer to work, during and between elections with the Chief Electoral Officer to carry out the purposes and provisions of this Division.
Marginal note:Notification of issue of the writs
247. (1) Without delay after the issue of the writs, the Chief Electoral Officer shall inform the minister responsible for corrections in a province of their issue and of the location of administrative centres.
Marginal note:Designation of liaison officers
(2) On being informed of the issue of the writs, each minister responsible for corrections in a province shall
(a) inform the coordinating officer for that province of the issue of the writs;
(b) designate one or more persons to act as liaison officers in connection with the taking of the votes of electors; and
(c) inform the Chief Electoral Officer and the coordinating officer for that province of the name and address of each liaison officer.
Marginal note:Liaison officers
248. (1) The Chief Electoral Officer shall appoint persons designated under paragraph 247(2)(b) in the prescribed form.
Marginal note:Duty to cooperate
(2) During the election period, a liaison officer shall cooperate with the Chief Electoral Officer in the administration of the registration and the taking of the votes of electors.
Marginal note:Duty of coordinating officer
249. When a coordinating officer is informed that a liaison officer has been designated, the coordinating officer shall give the liaison officer all necessary information on taking the votes of electors.
- Date modified: