Marginal note:Appointment of deputy returning officers and poll clerks
253. (1) Before the 18th day before polling day, each returning officer shall, for each correctional institution in his or her electoral district, in consultation with the liaison officer for the institution, establish one or more polling stations and appoint a deputy returning officer and a poll clerk for each polling station.
Marginal note:Provision of election materials
(2) A liaison officer shall, on receiving the election materials and list of candidates,
(a) provide the materials in sufficient quantities to the deputy returning officers appointed under subsection (1) for the correctional institution; and
(b) post the list of candidates in one or more conspicuous places in the correctional institution.
Marginal note:Duties of deputy returning officer
254. On the day on which the electors cast their ballots, the deputy returning officer shall, at each polling station,
(a) post two or more copies of the voting instructions, in the prescribed form, in conspicuous places; and
(b) keep readily available for consultation by electors a copy of this Part, a set of street indexes, a guide to electoral districts and a list of candidates.
Marginal note:Mobile polling stations
255. (1) A liaison officer shall, when required, establish a mobile polling station within a correctional institution to take the votes of the electors who are confined to their cells or in an infirmary.
Marginal note:Common mobile polling stations
(2) A returning officer may, in cooperation with liaison officers, create a mobile polling station for correctional institutions of fewer than 50 electors that are within the returning officer’s electoral district and that are within reasonable travelling distance of each other.
Marginal note:Representative of registered party
256. With the prior authorization of correctional authorities, a Canadian citizen may represent a registered party during the taking of the votes at a correctional institution, if he or she provides the deputy returning officer with an authorization, in the prescribed form, signed by a candidate for that party.
Marginal note:Declaration of elector
257. (1) Before delivering a special ballot to an elector, the deputy returning officer for a correctional institution shall require the elector to complete an application for registration and special ballot, if the elector has not already done so, and to make and sign the declaration on the outer envelope.
Marginal note:Giving special ballot to elector
(2) After the elector has signed the declaration on the outer envelope, the deputy returning officer shall
(a) sign the outer envelope; and
(b) give the elector a special ballot, an inner envelope and the outer envelope.
- Date modified: