178. (1) The voting procedures contained in this Part apply to general elections only.
(2) The Chief Electoral Officer may, by instructions, adapt this Part so that any or all of its provisions apply to a by-election.
179. For the purpose of applying this Part to, or adapting any provision of this Part in respect of, a particular circumstance, the Chief Electoral Officer may issue any instructions that he or she considers necessary in order to execute its intent.
Administration and General Procedures
Marginal note:Establishment of voting territories
180. For the purpose of this Part, a voting territory with headquarters in Ottawa is hereby established. The Chief Electoral Officer may establish any additional voting territories or administrative centres in or outside Canada that he or she considers appropriate.
Marginal note:Appointment of special voting rules administrator
181. The Chief Electoral Officer shall appoint, in the prescribed form, a special voting rules administrator.
Marginal note:Duties of special voting rules administrator
182. The special voting rules administrator shall
(a) secure suitable premises;
(b) retain the oath of office of each special ballot officer;
(c) obtain from the liaison officers the lists prepared under paragraph 204(1)(b);
(d) obtain from the liaison officers the lists of the names of deputy returning officers that the commanding officers are required to provide;
(e) distribute the election materials and the list of candidates;
(f) receive, validate, examine and sort the completed outer envelopes that contain special ballots marked by electors;
(g) proceed with the counting of the votes of electors; and
(h) communicate the results of the votes cast in accordance with this Part.
Marginal note:Special ballot officers
183. (1) After the issue of the writs, the Chief Electoral Officer shall appoint a minimum of six special ballot officers as follows:
(a) three, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister or a person whom the Prime Minister designates in writing;
(b) two, on the recommendation of the Leader of the Opposition or a person whom that Leader designates in writing; and
(c) one, on the recommendation of the Leader of the registered party that has the third largest number of members in the House of Commons as of the last general election, or a person whom that Leader designates in writing.
Marginal note:Appointment of special ballot officers
(2) A special ballot officer shall be appointed in the prescribed form.
- Date modified: