Marginal note:Application of Act
Marginal note:Certain Acts do not apply
(2) The following do not apply to a corporation:
Marginal note:Limitations on business that may be carried on
(3) No corporation shall carry on the business of
Marginal note:Limitation — granting degrees or regulating activities
(4) Incorporation or continuance under this Act does not confer any authority on a corporation to carry on activities as a degree-granting educational institution or to regulate any activity, including a profession or trade.
4 The purpose of this Act is to allow the incorporation or continuance of bodies corporate as corporations without share capital, including certain bodies corporate incorporated or continued under various other Acts of Parliament, for the purposes of carrying on legal activities and to impose obligations on certain bodies corporate without share capital incorporated by a special Act of Parliament.
Designation of Minister
Marginal note:Power of Governor in Council
5 The Governor in Council may designate any member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada to be the Minister for the purposes of this Act.
(2) No individual may incorporate a corporation under subsection (1) if that individual
Marginal note:Articles of incorporation
(a) the name of the corporation;
(b) the province where the registered office is to be situated;
(c) the classes, or regional or other groups, of members that the corporation is authorized to establish and, if there are two or more classes or groups, any voting rights attaching to each of those classes or groups;
(d) the number of directors or the minimum and maximum number of directors;
(e) any restrictions on the activities that the corporation may carry on;
(f) a statement of the purpose of the corporation; and
(g) a statement concerning the distribution of property remaining on liquidation after the discharge of any liabilities of the corporation.
Marginal note:Other required provisions
(2) Articles of incorporation shall set out, in respect of the proposed corporation, any provision required by any other Act of Parliament to be set out in the articles.
Marginal note:Additional provisions in articles
(3) The articles may set out any provisions that may be set out in the by-laws.
(3.1) Any requirement under this Act to set out a provision in the by-laws is deemed met by setting out the provision in the articles.
Marginal note:Special majorities
(4) Subject to subsection (5), if the articles or a unanimous member agreement requires a greater number of votes of directors or members than that required by this Act to effect any action, the provisions of the articles or of the unanimous member agreement prevail.
Marginal note:Removal of directors
(5) The articles may not require a greater number of votes of members to remove a director than the number required by section 130.
Marginal note:Delivery of articles of incorporation
8 One of the incorporators shall send to the Director articles of incorporation and the documents required by sections 20 and 128.
Marginal note:Certificate of incorporation
9 On receipt of articles of incorporation, the Director shall issue a certificate of incorporation in accordance with section 276.
Marginal note:Effect of certificate
10 A corporation comes into existence on the date shown in the certificate of incorporation.
Marginal note:Alternate name
11 (1) Subject to subsection 13(1), the name of a corporation may be set out in its articles in an English form, a French form, an English form and a French form, or a combined English and French form, so long as the combined form meets any prescribed criteria. The corporation may use and may be legally designated by any such form.
Marginal note:Alternate name outside Canada
(2) Subject to subsection 13(1), a corporation may, for use outside Canada, set out its name in its articles in any language form and it may use and may be legally designated by any such form outside Canada.
Marginal note:Publication of name
(3) A corporation shall set out its name in legible characters in all contracts, invoices, negotiable instruments and orders for goods or services issued or made by or on behalf of the corporation.
Marginal note:Other name
(4) Subject to subsections (3) and 13(1), a corporation may carry on activities under or identify itself by a name other than its corporate name.
Marginal note:Reserving name
Marginal note:Designating number
(2) If requested to do so by the incorporators or a corporation, the Director shall assign to the corporation as its name a designating number followed by the word “Canada” and a prescribed term.
Marginal note:Prohibited names
13 (1) A corporation shall not be incorporated or continued under this Act with, change its name to, or have, carry on activities under or identify itself by, a name that is prohibited by the regulations or that does not meet the prescribed requirements.
Marginal note:Directing change of name
(2) The Director may direct a corporation to change its name in accordance with section 197 if, through inadvertence or otherwise, the corporation acquires a name that is prohibited by the regulations or that does not meet the prescribed requirements.
Marginal note:Directing change of numbered name
(3) If a corporation has a designating number as its name, the Director may direct the corporation to change its name to a name other than a designating number in accordance with section 197.
Marginal note:Undertaking to dissolve or change name
(4) If a corporation acquires a name as a result of a person undertaking to dissolve or to change names, and the undertaking is not honoured, the Director may direct the corporation to change its name in accordance with section 197, unless the undertaking is honoured within the period specified in subsection (5).
Marginal note:Revoking name
(5) If a corporation has not followed a directive under subsection (2), (3) or (4) within the prescribed period, the Director may revoke the name of the corporation and assign a name to it and, until changed in accordance with section 197, the name of the corporation is the name assigned by the Director.
- Date modified: