PART 5Manufacturing Explosives (continued)
DIVISION 1Manufacturing Explosives under a Division 1 Factory Licence or a Satellite Site Certificate (continued)
SUBDIVISION cRequirements for Holders of Division 1 Factory Licences (continued)
(a) whether facilities and equipment are being operated and maintained in a manner that ensures the security of the factory or satellite site and minimizes the likelihood of harm to people and property; and
(b) whether these Regulations and the terms and conditions of the division 1 factory licence and any satellite site certificate are being complied with.
(2) Any deficiency found during an audit must be corrected as soon as the circumstances permit.
(3) A record of each audit must be made and the record must include a copy of the action plan to correct any deficiencies found and set out the corrections made. It must be kept for two years after the date on which the audit is conducted.
Marginal note:Audit procedure
(4) A procedure must be put in place to ensure that the audits are conducted in a complete and timely manner.
90 (1) A record of each Footnote *explosive in the factory or at a satellite site (including any explosive that is used as raw material) must be kept for two years after the date on which the record is made. It must set out, for each explosive,
(b) if the explosive was received, the quantity received and the date of reception;
(c) if the explosive was used to manufacture another explosive, the quantity used and the date of use;
(d) if the explosive was manufactured at the factory or a satellite site, the quantity manufactured and the date of manufacture;
(e) if the explosive was stored, the quantity stored, the magazine in which it was stored and the dates on which it was placed in and removed from the magazine;
(f) if the explosive was shipped from the factory or a satellite site, the quantity shipped, the date of shipment and the name and address of the person to whom it was shipped; and
(g) if the explosive was destroyed at the factory, the quantity destroyed and the date of destruction.
Marginal note:Inventory control systems
(2) Any system used for inventory control or tracking of an explosive must not increase the likelihood of an ignition.
- SOR/2016-75, s. 39
- SOR/2018-231, s. 44(F)
Marginal note:Copy — licence and certificates
91 (1) A copy of the division 1 factory licence and all documents referred to in the licence must be kept at the factory. A copy of the satellite site certificate and all documents referred to in the certificate must be kept at each satellite site.
Marginal note:Copy — this Division
(2) A copy of this Division must be made available to workers at the factory and each satellite site.
Marginal note:Copy — operating procedures
(3) A copy of the operating procedures for each process unit, factory magazine and transport unit must be kept in the unit or magazine to which they relate and must be made available to the workers.
Mobile Process Units
Marginal note:Responsibilities of licence holder
92 A holder of a division 1 factory licence must ensure that the mobile process unit requirements set out in sections 93 to 100 are met at the factory and, if they also hold a satellite site certificate, at each satellite site.
Marginal note:Structural requirements
93 (1) Every mobile process unit must be designed and constructed to conform to good engineering practices. It must be constructed in a manner that prevents the accumulation of Footnote *explosives or raw material in cracks and cavities and that minimizes the harm to people and property that could result from an ignition of the explosives or raw material. The construction materials must be Footnote *compatible with the explosives to be manufactured and transported and with the raw material to be used.
Marginal note:Means of escape
(2) Every mobile process unit must have a means of escape that will permit all people in the unit to leave it quickly and easily in an emergency.
(3) All tools, equipment, hoses and hydraulic systems in or on a mobile process unit must be designed, constructed and installed to conform to good engineering practices.
(4) Every thing that is in or on a mobile process unit must be made from materials that are compatible with the explosives and raw material with which they could come into contact during manufacturing operations.
Marginal note:Control of safety-critical parameters
(5) All equipment designed to control safety-critical parameters on pumps, and on other process equipment that puts energy into explosives, must be installed and maintained in good condition so that the equipment operates while the pumps and process equipment are in use.
Marginal note:Foreign matter
94 (1) If the likelihood of an ignition could be increased as a result of foreign matter (for example, bolts, gravel or grit) being present in or mixed with any raw material, or Footnote *explosive used as raw material, the material must be carefully examined and passed through a sieve or treated to remove or exclude the foreign matter before manufacturing operations begin.
Marginal note:Loading and unloading
(2) Explosives and raw material must not be loaded into or unloaded from a mobile process unit except at the factory or a satellite site or at a client site specified in the division 1 factory licence or satellite site certificate. However, in the case of a mechanical breakdown, unloading may be carried out at the location of the breakdown if the Minister is notified of the breakdown and determines that precautions that minimize the likelihood of ignition have been taken.
Marginal note:Loaded units to be attended
Marginal note:Storage — contaminated units
Marginal note:Tanks and hoppers
(5) The explosives and raw material in the tanks and hoppers on a mobile process unit must be unloaded if the unit will not be used for three consecutive days. However, the fuel oil tank and prill hopper do not have to be unloaded.
- SOR/2016-75, s. 38
Marginal note:Unit unused
Marginal note:Removal from service
(2) A mobile process unit must be decontaminated before it is removed from service.
(3) All decontamination of a mobile process unit must be carried out at the factory specified in the division 1 factory licence. After decontamination, a unit must be inspected by a supervisor to verify that it no longer contains any Footnote *explosives.
Marginal note:Destruction of waste
(4) All explosives waste and explosives-contaminated material must be destroyed in a manner that does not increase the likelihood of an accidental ignition during or after the destruction.
- Date modified: