3 (1) These Regulations apply in respect of fishing in the Canadian fisheries waters off the Yukon Territory and in the waters of the Yukon Territory other than the waters of a National Park of Canada located in that Territory.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in these Regulations, these Regulations, other than subsections (1) and 9(3) and — to the extent that they relate to a contravention of subsection 9(3) — sections 10 and 11, do not apply with respect to fishing and related activities carried out under the authority of a licence issued under the Aboriginal Communal Fishing Licences Regulations.
- SOR/82-875, s. 2
- SOR/93-60, s. 2(F)
- SOR/2002-225, s. 2
- SOR/2003-339, s. 2
Licences and Conservation Cards — General
4 (1) Subject to subsection (3), section 4.1 and subsection 5.1(1), no person shall fish, engage in fish farming or hold a derby except under the authority of a licence issued under these Regulations, the Fishery (General) Regulations or the Aboriginal Communal Fishing Licences Regulations.
(2) Subject to subsection 6(14.1), on receipt of an application for a licence and, where applicable, a Salmon Conservation Catch Card as set out in column I of an item of Schedule III, together with the applicable fee set out in column II of that item, the Minister may issue the licence or the Salmon Conservation Catch Card.
(3) A person under 16 years of age may engage in angling without a licence if the person
(4) All fish caught by a person under 16 years of age shall be counted as part of the catch of the licence holder referred to in paragraph 3(b).
(5) The person under 16 years of age referred to in subsection (3) shall, at the request of a fishery officer or fishery guardian, produce proof of age.
- SOR/82-875, s. 3
- SOR/87-439, s. 2
- SOR/89-155, s. 2
- SOR/92-444, s. 2
- SOR/93-60, s. 3
- SOR/93-339, s. 2
- SOR/94-269, s. 2
- SOR/99-98, s. 2
- SOR/2003-339, s. 3
- SOR/2008-152, s. 1
National Fishing Week
(a) during the period that begins on the last Friday in June and ends at midnight on the Monday immediately following that Friday, if July 1 falls within that period; or
(b) during the period that begins on the first Friday in July and ends at midnight on the Monday immediately following that Friday, if July 1 does not fall within the period referred to in paragraph (a).
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to angling by a participant in a derby.
(3) A person engaged in angling without a licence during a period referred to in subsection (1) shall, at the request of a fishery officer or fishery guardian, produce proof that the person is a Yukon resident.
- SOR/2008-152, s. 2
5 [Repealed, SOR/93-339, s. 3]
Inuvialuit Subsistence Fishery
(2) Notwithstanding subsection 9(4) and subject to section 12 of the Agreement, a beneficiary may sell to or trade or barter with
(3) No person, other than a beneficiary, shall possess any edible portions of fish taken for subsistence usage from the Inuvialuit Settlement Region.
(4) In the Inuvialuit Settlement Region, subsection 9(1) does not apply to a beneficiary.
- SOR/92-444, s. 3
- SOR/99-98, s. 3
Commercial and Domestic Fishery
(3) [Repealed, SOR/94-269, s. 3]
(4) and (5) [Repealed, SOR/82-875, s. 5]
(6) [Repealed, SOR/93-60, s. 5]
(7) Each gang of nets shall be marked at each end during open water fishing by a buoy, and during winter fishing by a stake the top of which shall be at least 1.2 m above the surface of the ice.
(8) No person shall,
(9) Except with the permission of a fishery officer, no person shall leave a gill net in the water
(a) between May 1st and November 30th, for more than 30 consecutive hours, and
(b) between December 1st and April 30th, for more than 72 consecutive hours,
without withdrawing it from the water and removing any fish caught therein.
(10) No person shall engage in fishing for salmon by means of fish wheels except in the Yukon River downstream from a fishing boundary sign located 800 m downstream from the confluence of Tatchun Creek and the Yukon River.
(11) and (12) [Repealed, SOR/94-269, s. 3]
(13) No person shall fish for salmon for commercial purposes in the Yukon River and its tributaries unless that person holds
(13.1) [Repealed, SOR/87-439, s. 4]
(14) No person shall fish for salmon for domestic purposes in the Yukon River and its tributaries unless that person holds
(14.1) The Minister may issue a Yukon River salmon licence to a person who holds a commercial fishing licence or domestic fishing licence and who, on or before March 31 in the year for which the Yukon River salmon licence is to be valid, applies in writing to the District Supervisor of the Department for the Yukon Territory and, with the application, encloses the fee for the Yukon River salmon licence that is set out in Schedule III.
(15) No person shall engage in commercial fishing or domestic fishing
(a) in the Yukon River
(i) upstream from a fishing boundary sign located approximately 800 m downstream from the confluence of Tatchun Creek and the Yukon River; or
(ii) between the fishing boundary signs located approximately 800 m upstream from the confluence of the Yukon and Klondike Rivers and approximately 1.6 km downstream from that confluence;
(b) in the Pelly River watershed upstream from the confluence of the Pelly and MacMillan Rivers;
(c) in the Porcupine River watershed upstream from a fishing boundary sign located approximately 8 km upstream from the village of Old Crow; or
(d) in the Stewart River watershed
(16) No person shall engage in commercial fishing for salmon in the waters of the Yukon River and its tributaries during the close time beginning on October 30 in one year and ending on June 15 in the next year.
(16.1) No person shall engage in domestic fishing for salmon for domestic purposes in the waters of the Yukon River and its tributaries during the close time beginning on October 30 in one year and ending on June 15 in the next year.
(17) No person shall engage in commercial fishing in the Yukon River with
- SOR/80-836, s. 1
- SOR/82-875, s. 5
- SOR/87-439, s. 4
- SOR/89-155, s. 4
- SOR/93-60, s. 5
- SOR/94-269, s. 3
- SOR/2000-215, s. 1
- Date modified: