PART IIIPetroleum Operations (continued)
DIVISION IRegulation of Operations (continued)
Pricing for Greenhouse Gas Emissions (continued)
Marginal note:Powers, duties and functions of Board
164.3 (1) The Board may, under an agreement with the appropriate provincial Minister or in accordance with the Management of Greenhouse Gas Act, exercise any power or perform any duty or function set out in that agreement or Act to ensure, within the offshore area, the administration and enforcement of the pricing mechanisms for greenhouse gas emissions set out in the provisions of that Act that are incorporated by reference under subsection 164.2(1).
Marginal note:Liability for acts and omissions
(2) In respect of any act or omission occurring in the exercise of a power or the performance of a duty or function under subsection (1),
(a) Her Majesty in right of Canada is entitled to the same limits on liability, defences and immunities as those that would apply to Her Majesty in right of the Province when Her Majesty in right of the Province exercises such a power or performs such a duty or function under the law that applies in the Province; and
(b) any person or body exercising the power or performing the duty or function is entitled to the same limits on liability, defences and immunities as those that would apply to a person or body when the person or body exercises such a power or performs such a duty or function under the law that applies in the Province.
Marginal note:Disclosure of information
(3) In exercising its powers and performing its duties and functions under subsection (1), the Board may obtain from the appropriate provincial Minister and disclose to that Minister any information with respect to the administration of the Management of Greenhouse Gas Act.
- 2018, c. 27, s. 177
165 (1) Where a spill or debris or an accident or incident related to any activity to which this Division applies occurs or is found in any portion of the offshore area and results in death or injury or danger to public safety or the environment, the Board may direct an inquiry to be made and may authorize any person it deems qualified to conduct the inquiry.
Marginal note:Mandatory inquiry
(1.1) Where a spill or debris or an accident or incident related to any activity to which this Division applies occurs or is found in any portion of the offshore area and is serious, as defined by regulation, the Board shall direct that an inquiry referred to in subsection (1) be made and shall ensure that the person who conducts the inquiry is not employed by the Board.
Marginal note:Power of person conducting inquiry
(2) For the purposes of an inquiry under subsection (1), a person authorized by the Board under that subsection has and may exercise all the powers of a person appointed as a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act.
(3) As soon as possible after the conclusion of an inquiry under subsection (1), the person or persons authorized to conduct the inquiry shall submit a report to the Board, together with the evidence and other material that was before the inquiry.
(4) A report made pursuant to subsection (3) shall be published by the Board within thirty days after the Board has received it.
Marginal note:Copies of report
(5) The Board may supply copies of a report published pursuant to subsection (4) in such manner and on such terms as the Board considers proper.
- 1987, c. 3, s. 165
- 1992, c. 35, s. 77
DIVISION IIProduction Arrangements
166 In this Division,
- pooled spacing unit
pooled spacing unit means the area that is subject to a pooling agreement or a pooling order; (unité d’espacement mise en commun)
- pooled tract
pooled tract means the portion of a pooled spacing unit defined as a tract in a pooling agreement or a pooling order; (parcelle mise en commun)
- pooling agreement
pooling agreement means an agreement to pool the interests of owners in a spacing unit and to provide for the operation or the drilling and operation of a well thereon; (accord de mise en commun)
- pooling order
pooling order means an order made under section 168 or as altered pursuant to section 170; (arrêté de mise en commun)
- royalty interest
royalty interest means any interest in, or the right to receive a portion of, any petroleum produced and saved from a field or pool or part of a field or pool or the proceeds from the sale thereof, but does not include a working interest or the interest of any person whose sole interest is as a purchaser of petroleum from the pool or part thereof; (droit à redevance)
- royalty owner
royalty owner means a person, including Her Majesty, who owns a royalty interest; (titulaire de redevance)
- spacing unit
spacing unit means the area allocated to a well for the purpose of drilling for or producing petroleum; (unité d’espacement)
- tract participation
tract participation means the share of production from a unitized zone that is allocated to a unit tract under a unit agreement or unitization order or the share of production from a pooled spacing unit that is allocated to a pooled tract under a pooling agreement or pooling order; (fraction parcellaire)
- unit agreement
unit agreement means an agreement to unitize the interests of owners in a pool or part thereof exceeding in area a spacing unit, or such an agreement as varied by a unitization order; (accord d’union)
- unit area
unit area means the area that is subject to a unit agreement; (secteur unitaire)
- unit operating agreement
unit operating agreement means an agreement, providing for the management and operation of a unit area and a unitized zone, that is entered into by working interest owners who are parties to a unit agreement with respect to that unit area and unitized zone, and includes a unit operating agreement as varied by a unitization order; (accord d’exploitation unitaire)
- unit operation
unit operation means those operations conducted pursuant to a unit agreement or a unitization order; (exploitation unitaire)
- unit operator
unit operator means a person designated as a unit operator under a unit operating agreement; (exploitant unitaire)
- unit tract
unit tract means the portion of a unit area that is defined as a tract in a unit agreement; (parcelle unitaire)
- unitization order
unitization order means an order of the Committee made under section 176; (arrêté d’union)
- unitized zone
unitized zone means a geological formation that is within a unit area and subject to a unit agreement; (terrain)
- working interest
working interest means a right, in whole or in part, to produce and dispose of petroleum from a pool or part of a pool, whether such right is held as an incident of ownership of an estate in fee simple in the petroleum or under a lease, agreement or other instrument, if the right is chargeable with and the holder thereof is obligated to pay or bear, either in cash or out of production, all or a portion of the costs in connection with the drilling for, recovery and disposal of petroleum from the pool or part thereof; (intérêt économique direct)
- working interest owner
working interest owner means a person who owns a working interest. (détenteur)
- 1987, c. 3, s. 166
- 1992, c. 35, s. 78(F)
Marginal note:Voluntary pooling
167 (1) Where one or more working interest owners have leases or separately owned working interests within a spacing unit, the working interest owners and the royalty owners who own all of the interests in the spacing unit may pool their working interests and royalty interests in the spacing unit for the purpose of drilling for or producing, or both drilling for and producing, petroleum if a copy of the pooling agreement and any amendment thereto has been filed with the Chief Conservation Officer.
Marginal note:Pooling agreement by Her Majesty
(2) The Board may, on behalf of Her Majesty, enter into a pooling agreement on any terms and conditions that it deems advisable and, despite anything in Part II or this Part, the Federal Real Property and Federal Immovables Act or any regulations made under those Parts or that Act, the pooling agreement is binding on Her Majesty.
- 1987, c. 3, s. 167
- 1991, c. 50, s. 23
- 2001, c. 4, s. 151
Marginal note:Application for pooling order
168 (1) ln the absence of a pooling agreement, a working interest owner in a spacing unit may apply for a pooling order directing the working interest owners and royalty owners within the spacing unit to pool their interests in the spacing unit for the purpose of drilling for and producing, or producing, petroleum from the spacing unit.
Marginal note:Hearing by Committee
(2) An application under subsection (1) shall be made to the Board which shall refer the application to the Committee for the purpose of holding a hearing to determine whether a pooling order should be made and at such hearing the Committee shall afford all interested parties an opportunity to be heard.
Marginal note:Matter to be supplied Committee on hearing
(3) Prior to a hearing held pursuant to subsection (2), the working interest owner making application shall provide the Committee, and such other interested parties as the Committee may direct, with a proposed form of pooling agreement and the working interest owners who have interests in the spacing unit to which the proposed pooling agreement relates shall provide the Committee with such information as the Committee deems necessary.
Marginal note:Order of Committee
(4) After a hearing pursuant to subsection (2), the Committee may order that all working interest owners and royalty owners who have an interest in the spacing unit shall be deemed to have entered into a pooling agreement as set out in the pooling order.
Marginal note:Contents of pooling order
(5) Every pooling order shall provide
(a) for the drilling and operation of a well on the spacing unit or, where a well that is capable of or that can be made capable of production has been drilled on the spacing unit before the making of the pooling order, for the future production and operation of that well;
(b) for the appointment of a working interest owner as operator to be responsible for the drilling, operation or abandoning of the well whether drilled before or after the making of the pooling order;
(c) for the allocation to each pooled tract of its share of the production of the petroleum from the pooled spacing unit that is not required, consumed or lost in the operation of the well, which allocation shall be on a prorated area basis unless it can be shown to the satisfaction of the Committee that such basis is unfair, whereupon the Committee may make an allocation on some other more equitable basis;
(d) in the event that no production of petroleum is obtained for the payment by the applicant of all costs incurred in the drilling and abandoning of the well;
(e) where production has been obtained, for the payment of the actual costs of drilling the well, whether drilled before or after the making of the pooling order, and for the payment of the actual costs of the completion, operation and abandoning of the well; and
(f) for the sale by the operator of petroleum allocated pursuant to paragraph (c) to a working interest owner where the working interest owner thereof fails to take in kind and dispose of such production, and for the deduction out of the proceeds by the operator of the expenses reasonably incurred in connection with such sale.
Marginal note:Provision of penalty
(6) A pooling order may provide for a penalty for a working interest owner who does not, within the time specified in the order, pay the portion of the costs attributable to the working interest owner as the share of the cost of drilling and completion of the well, but such penalty shall not exceed an amount equal to one-half of that working interest owner’s share of such costs.
Marginal note:Recovery of costs and penalty
(7) If a working interest owner does not, within the time specified therefor in the pooling order, pay the share of the costs of the drilling, completing, operating and abandoning of the well, that portion of the costs and the penalty, if any, are recoverable only out of the share of production from the spacing unit and not in any other manner.
- Date modified: