PART IAdministration (continued)
Canadian Transportation Agency (continued)
Continuation and Organization (continued)
Marginal note:Term of members
(2) A member appointed under subsection 7(2) is eligible to be reappointed on the expiration of a first or subsequent term of office.
Marginal note:Continuation in office
(3) If a member appointed under subsection 7(2) ceases to hold office, the Chairperson may authorize the member to continue to hear any matter that was before the member on the expiry of the member’s term of office and that member is deemed to be a member of the Agency, but that person’s status as a member does not preclude the appointment of up to five members under subsection 7(2) or up to three temporary members under subsection 9(1).
- 1996, c. 10, s. 8
- 2007, c. 19, s. 4
- 2015, c. 3, s. 31(E)
Marginal note:Temporary members
(2) The Governor in Council may appoint any individual to a roster of candidates for the purpose of subsection (1).
Marginal note:Maximum number
(3) Not more than three temporary members shall hold office at any one time.
Marginal note:Term of temporary members
(4) A temporary member shall hold office during good behaviour for a term of not more than one year and may be removed for cause by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:No reappointment
(5) A person who has served two consecutive terms as a temporary member is not, during the twelve months following the completion of the person’s second term, eligible to be reappointed to the Agency as a temporary member.
Marginal note:Members — conflicts of interest
Marginal note:Temporary members may not hold other office
(2) During the term of office of a temporary member, the member shall not accept or hold any office or employment that is inconsistent with the member’s duties under this Act.
Marginal note:Disposal of conflict of interest
(3) If an interest referred to in subsection (1) vests in a member appointed under subsection 7(2) for the benefit of the member by will or succession, the member shall, within three months after the vesting, absolutely dispose of the interest.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 10
- 2015, c. 3, s. 32(E)
(2) Each member is entitled to be paid reasonable travel and living expenses incurred by the member in carrying out duties under this Act or any other Act of Parliament while absent from the member’s ordinary place of work.
Marginal note:Members — retirement pensions
Marginal note:Temporary members not included
(2) A temporary member is deemed not to be employed in the public service for the purposes of the Public Service Superannuation Act unless the Governor in Council, by order, deems the member to be so employed for those purposes.
Marginal note:Accident compensation
(3) For the purposes of the Government Employees Compensation Act and any regulation made pursuant to section 9 of the Aeronautics Act, a member is deemed to be an employee in the federal public administration.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 12
- 2003, c. 22, ss. 224(E), 225(E)
- 2015, c. 3, s. 33(E)
Marginal note:Duties of Chairperson
13 The Chairperson is the chief executive officer of the Agency and has the supervision over and direction of the work of the members and its staff, including the apportionment of work among the members and the assignment of members to deal with any matter before the Agency.
Marginal note:Absence of Chairperson
14 In the event of the absence or incapacity of the Chairperson or if the office of Chairperson is vacant, the Vice-Chairperson has all the powers and shall perform all the duties and functions of the Chairperson.
Marginal note:Absence of both Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
15 The Chairperson may authorize one or more of the members to act as Chairperson for the time being if both the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson are absent or unable to act.
Marginal note:Quorum lost because of incapacity of member
(2) Where a member who is conducting a hearing in respect of a matter becomes incapacitated or dies during the hearing or after the conclusion of the hearing but before rendering a decision and quorum is lost as a result, the Chairperson may, with the consent of all the parties to the hearing,
(a) if the incapacity or death occurs during the hearing, authorize another member to continue the hearing and render a decision, or
(b) if the incapacity or death occurs after the conclusion of the hearing, authorize another member to examine the evidence presented at the hearing and render a decision,
and in either case, the quorum in respect of the matter is deemed never to have been lost.
Marginal note:Quorum not lost because of incapacity of member
(3) Where a member who is conducting a hearing in respect of a matter becomes incapacitated or dies during the hearing and quorum is not lost as a result, another member may be assigned by the Chairperson to participate in the hearing and in the rendering of a decision.
17 The Agency may make rules respecting
(a) the sittings of the Agency and the carrying on of its work;
(b) the manner of and procedures for dealing with matters and business before the Agency, including the circumstances in which hearings may be held in private; and
(c) the number of members that are required to hear any matter or perform any of the functions of the Agency under this Act or any other Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Head office
Marginal note:Residence of members
(2) The members appointed under subsection 7(2) shall reside in the National Capital Region described in the schedule to the National Capital Act or within any distance of it that the Governor in Council determines.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 18
- 2007, c. 19, s. 5
- 2008, c. 21, s. 61
Marginal note:Secretary, officers and employees
19 The Secretary of the Agency and the other officers and employees that are necessary for the proper conduct of the business of the Agency shall be appointed in accordance with the Public Service Employment Act.
Marginal note:Technical experts
20 The Agency may appoint and, subject to any applicable Treasury Board directive, fix the remuneration of experts or persons who have technical or special knowledge to assist the Agency in an advisory capacity in respect of any matter before the Agency.
- Date modified: