HISTORIC SITES AND MONUMENTS
15. The historic sites and monuments in the Antarctic that are designated for the purpose of section 16 of the Act are the ones set out in Schedule 2.
NATIVE AND NON-NATIVE SPECIES
Marginal note:Limitation on authority to issue permit
16. The Minister may issue a permit for the purpose of an activity to which section 12 of the Act applies only if that purpose is
(a) to provide specimens for scientific study or scientific information;
(b) to provide specimens for museums, herbaria, zoological or botanical gardens or other educational or cultural institutions or uses; or
(c) to provide for unavoidable consequences of other scientific activities or the construction and operation of scientific support facilities.
Marginal note:Manner of taking
17. The Minister may include in a permit for the taking of native mammals or native birds the condition that the taking of the mammals or birds must be done in the manner that involves the least degree of pain and suffering practicable being inflicted on them.
Marginal note:Factors to be considered
18. In considering whether to issue a permit referred to in section 12 of the Act, the Minister may take into account the permits issued by all other Parties to the Protocol to ensure that
(a) only small numbers of native mammals or native birds are killed and the number of native mammals or native birds that are killed during a season from a local population, considered along with the number of native mammals or native birds from that local population that are taken or to be taken under other permits, is not so great that the total number of native mammals or native birds taken from the local population could not be replaced by normal natural reproduction during the following season; and
(b) the diversity of species, as well as the habitats essential to their existence, and the balance of the ecological systems existing within the Antarctic are maintained.
- SOR/2010-196, s. 2(E).
Specially Protected Species
Marginal note:Limitation on issuance of permit
19. The Minister may issue a permit for the purpose of section 12 of the Act for the taking of a specially protected species set out in Appendix A of Annex II to the Protocol only if the taking
(a) is for a compelling scientific purpose;
(b) will not jeopardize the survival or recovery of that species or the local population of that species; and
(c) is done using non-lethal techniques, if practicable.
Marginal note:No dogs to be introduced
20. A permit may not be issued for the purpose of subsection 13(1) of the Act to allow any dog to be introduced into the Antarctic.
- Date modified: