PART VIISalmon (continued)
Gear Restrictions (continued)
83 No person shall fish for salmon with a drift net except in
(a) that portion of Salmon Fishing Area 16 (Miramichi Bay) enclosed by the coastline of New Brunswick and
(i) a line joining Latitude 47°26′N., Longitude 64°53′12″W. (pointe à Barreau) to Latitude 47°04′24″N., Longitude 64°21′45″W., thence to Latitude 47°00′48″N., Longitude 64°49′40″W. (Eel River), and
(ii) a straight line joining Latitude 47°04′30″N., Longitude 64°48′W. (Escuminac) to Latitude 47°15′23″N., Longitude 65°03′18′W. (Lower Neguac);
(b) that portion of Salmon Fishing Area 22 (Minas Basin) inside of a straight line joining Latitude 45°20′N., Longitude 64°30′W. (Cape Split) to Latitude 45°22′N., Longitude 64°23′W. (Cape Sharp);
(c) that portion of Salmon Fishing Area 23 (Shepody Bay) inside of a straight line joining Latitude 45°43′40″N., Longitude 64°33′15″W. (Cape Maringouin) to Latitude 45°43′N., Longitude 64°39′W. (Marys Point); or
(d) that portion of Salmon Fishing Area 23 (Saint John River) inside a straight line joining Latitude 45°12′N., Longitude 65°55′W. (Cape Spencer) and Latitude 45°04′N., Longitude 66°27′W. (Point Lepreau).
- SOR/93-61, s. 29(E)
84 No holder of a licence to fish for salmon in Salmon Fishing Area 2 shall fish for salmon with a net of any kind in that portion of the Eagle River estuary lying upstream of a straight line joining Separation Point to Cooper’s Point unless the holder is authorized to do so as a condition of his licence.
Tagging of Salmon
85 (1) Where a person who, pursuant to these Regulations or a written permission referred to in section 4 of the Act, is authorized to fish for salmon in any of Salmon Fishing Areas 1 to 23 catches and retains a salmon, the person shall forthwith affix thereto a valid salmon tag issued to that person by the Minister, together with the licence or written permission, by firmly fastening the tag to and securely locking it on the salmon so that it cannot be removed without tampering with the lock, breaking or cutting the tag or without cutting or tearing any part of the salmon.
(2) For the purposes of subsections (1) and (4), a salmon tag is valid only for the year indicated thereon and is valid only if
(3) Where, pursuant to subsection (1), a person affixes a salmon tag, he shall affix
(a) a red salmon tag where the salmon is not a grilse and is caught and retained by a person who is licensed to fish for salmon pursuant to these Regulations;
(b) a red or yellow salmon tag where the salmon is a grilse and is caught and retained by a person who is licenced to fish for salmon pursuant to these Regulations; and
(c) a brown salmon tag where the salmon is caught and retained under a written permission referred to in section 4 of the Act.
(d) [Repealed, SOR/93-337, s. 3]
(3.1) Subject to subsection (5), no person shall be in possession of a salmon in Salmon Fishing Areas 1 to 14 or in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador unless the salmon is tagged in accordance with the provisions of this section.
(4) Subject to subsection (5), no person shall be in possession of a salmon in any of Salmon Fishing Areas 15 to 23 unless the salmon is tagged in accordance with these Regulations, the Maritime Provinces Fishery Regulations or the National Parks Fishing Regulations.
(5) No person shall remove a salmon tag that is affixed to a salmon in accordance with this section except at the time the salmon is prepared for consumption.
- SOR/87-313, s. 1
- SOR/89-268, s. 3
- SOR/93-61, s. 30
- SOR/93-337, s. 3
- SOR/2017-58, s. 23
Close Times & Areas
86 In this Part,
flounder means American plaice, winter flounder, witch flounder and yellowtail flounder; (plie)
length[Repealed, SOR/2017-58, s. 18]
- Stock Area
Stock Area means the waters referred to in a subitem of Schedule XXIII in respect of the species set out in that item. (zone de stock)
- SOR/88-231, s. 1
- SOR/91-76, s. 3
- SOR/2017-58, s. 18
87 (1) Subject to sections 88 and 90, no person shall fish for a species of groundfish set out in column I of an item of Schedule XXIII in a Stock Area set out in column II of a subitem of that item from a vessel of a vessel class set out in column III of that subitem during the close time set out in column IV of that subitem.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), where a close time set out in column IV of a subitem of Schedule XXIII is in respect of more than one vessel class, that close time is deemed to be fixed in respect of each vessel class referred to in that subitem.
- SOR/89-584, s. 3
88 [Repealed, SOR/93-16, s. 2]
89 [Repealed, SOR/89-584, s. 5]
(2) [Repealed, SOR/94-45, s. 1]
- SOR/87-468, s. 7
- SOR/94-45, s. 1
- SOR/2003-137, s. 11
Recreational Groundfish Fishing
(2) No person shall engage in recreational fishing for groundfish by any means other than by hand-line or by angling.
(2.1) [Repealed, SOR/2006-132, s. 2]
(3) No person engaged in recreational fishing for groundfish shall, in any day, catch and retain more than a quota of ten groundfish of all species in the aggregate, comprising
(4) [Repealed, SOR/2006-132, s. 2]
- SOR/91-76, s. 4
- SOR/93-16, s. 3
- SOR/93-61, s. 50(F)
- SOR/94-60, s. 3
- SOR/2001-212, s. 3
- SOR/2006-132, s. 2
91.1 and 92 [Repealed, SOR/94-60, s. 3]
92.1 [Repealed, SOR/93-16, s. 4]
Groundfish Gill Nets
93 No person shall fish for groundfish with a gill net that is set in such a manner that the net floats of the net are less than 5 m below the surface of the water at any time.
- SOR/87-468, s. 8(F)
93.1 No person shall leave a groundfish gill net unattended in those portions of Division 4VWX and Subarea 5 that are more than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shore, other than the shore of Sable Island.
- SOR/91-76, s. 7
Catching and Landing of Groundfish
93.2 [Repealed, SOR/2011-39, s. 4]
93.3 (1) Despite section 33 of the Fishery (General) Regulations and subject to subsection (2), no person shall return to the water a groundfish caught while fishing for groundfish under the authority of a commercial licence.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if a condition of the licence authorizes or requires the return of the groundfish to the water.
- SOR/93-16, s. 6
- SOR/93-61, s. 31
- SOR/2007-20, s. 3
- Date modified: