PART 1Requirements Applicable to Transportation Service Providers (continued)
Personnel Training for the Assistance of Persons with Disabilities (continued)
Marginal note:Handling mobility aids
18 If a member of personnel may be required to handle mobility aids in the course of carrying out their functions, they must receive training that provides an adequate level of knowledge and skills to carry out those functions, including training with respect to
(a) the different types of mobility aids; and
(b) the requirements and appropriate methods for transporting and storing mobility aids, including the disassembling, packaging, unpackaging and reassembling of mobility aids.
Marginal note:Using or assisting with special equipment
19 (1) If a member of personnel may be required to use, or to assist a person with a disability in using, any special equipment in the course of carrying out their functions, they must receive training that provides an adequate level of knowledge and skills to carry out those functions.
Marginal note:Definition of special equipment
(2) In this section, special equipment includes
(a) a telecommunication device for persons who are deaf or who have any other hearing impairment;
(b) a lift, a ramp and any other level-change device;
(c) an on-board electrical power supply;
(d) a device for the connection of on-board auxiliary respirator systems;
(e) an on-board entertainment system that is accessible to persons with disabilities; and
(f) an automated self-service kiosk that is accessible to persons with disabilities.
Marginal note:Initial training — timeline
20 (1) A transportation service provider must ensure that a member of personnel has completed training suitable to the requirements of their functions within 60 days after the day on which that member assumes those functions.
Marginal note:Supervision of untrained personnel
(2) Until a member of personnel has completed the training that is suitable to the requirements of their functions, the transportation service provider must ensure that they carry out their functions under the direct supervision of a person who has completed that training.
Marginal note:Refresher training
21 A transportation service provider must ensure that members of personnel who have received training that is required by this Part also receive, at least once every three years, refresher training that is suitable to the requirements of their functions.
Marginal note:Duty to inform personnel
22 If a transportation service provider introduces any new policy, procedure or technology with respect to persons with disabilities or offers any new transportation-related service or facility to assist persons with disabilities, the transportation service provider must, as soon as feasible, inform members of personnel of that new information, unless it is not relevant to the requirements of their functions.
Marginal note:Preparation of training programs
(2) A transportation service provider must consult persons with disabilities in the development of each training program and the principal teaching methods.
Marginal note:Information about training program
(3) A transportation service provider must, as soon as feasible, make available any information about a training program that is set out in Schedule 1, except any personal information or confidential business information, to any person who requests that information.
PART 2Service Requirements Applicable to Carriers
24 The following definitions apply in this Part.
licensee has the same meaning as in subsection 55(1) of the Act. (licencié)
- severe allergy
severe allergy means an allergy to an allergen that may cause a person to experience significant physical distress if they are directly exposed to the allergen. (allergie grave)
Marginal note:Air, rail, marine and bus carriers
(a) every large air carrier that provides a service for the transportation of passengers
(b) every rail carrier that provides a service for the transportation of passengers
(c) every marine carrier that provides a service for the transportation of passengers between two or more provinces or between Canada and a foreign country if
(d) every bus carrier that provides a service for the transportation of passengers between two or more provinces and from a point of origin in Canada to a point of destination in a foreign country.
Marginal note:Definition of large air carrier
(2) In this section, large air carrier means an air carrier that transported a worldwide total of 1,000,000 passengers or more during each of the two preceding calendar years.
Marginal note:Non-application of this Part
26 (1) If an air carrier transports a passenger between Canada and a foreign country and that trip comprises a series of flights, this Part does not apply in respect of any flight in that series except a flight in that series that departs from, or arrives in, a point in Canada.
Marginal note:Charter flights
(2) This Part does not apply to an air carrier in respect of a charter flight except
Marginal note:Licensee obligations
(3) A licensee must include the obligation to comply with these Regulations in its contracts with a charterer with respect to flights referred to in subsection (2).
Marginal note:Non-application — certain aircraft
27 The following provisions do not apply to an air carrier in respect of a transportation service provided by means of an aircraft that has a certificated maximum carrying capacity of not more than 29 passengers:
(a) paragraph 35(k); and
(b) if the aisle width between passenger seats is not sufficient to accommodate the use of an on-board wheelchair, paragraph 35(m).
Marginal note:Non-application — certain ferries
Marginal note:Clarification — adjacent passenger seats
(2) Despite subsections 50(2) and 51(4) and section 52, if a marine carrier does not offer assigned passenger seats to passengers on a ferry and a person with a disability needs a passenger seat that has an adjacent passenger seat available for their use because of the nature of their disability or for use by their support person or service dog, it is the responsibility of the person with a disability to find such a passenger seat on the ferry.
- Date modified: