Fees in Respect of Drugs and Medical Devices Order
Therefore, the Minister of Health, pursuant to subsections 30.61(1)Footnote a and 30.63(1)Footnote a of the Food and Drugs ActFootnote b, makes the annexed Fees in Respect of Drugs and Medical Devices Order.
Ottawa, May 3, 2019
entity has the meaning assigned by the definition organization in section 2 of the Criminal Code. (entité)
- fiscal year
fiscal year means
(a) for the purposes of sections 16, 17, 25, 26, 49, 53, 57, 66, 67, 74 and 79, the fiscal year of a person that provides information under that section or of a person with which the person is affiliated; and
(b) for the purposes of any other section, the period beginning on April 1 in one year and ending on March 31 in the next year. (exercice)
- performance standard
performance standard means the document entitled Performance Standards for the Fees in Respect of Drugs and Medical Devices Order, published by the Government of Canada, dated November 22, 2018. (norme de rendement)
- small business
small business means a person in respect of which either of the following criteria applies:
Marginal note:Other words and expressions
(2) Unless the context otherwise requires, other words and expressions used in this Order have the meanings assigned to them by the Food and Drug Regulations or the Medical Devices Regulations, as the case may be.
(3) For the purposes of this Order,
(a) one entity is affiliated with another entity if one of them is the subsidiary of the other or both are subsidiaries of the same entity or each of them is controlled by the same entity or individual;
(b) if two entities are affiliated with the same entity at the same time, they are deemed to be affiliated with each other; and
(c) an individual is affiliated with an entity if the individual controls the entity.
Marginal note:Subsidiary entity
(4) For the purposes of this Order, an entity is a subsidiary of another entity if it is controlled by that other entity.
(5) For the purposes of this Order,
(a) a corporation is controlled by an entity or an individual if
(i) securities of the corporation to which are attached more than 50% of the votes that may be cast to elect directors of the corporation are held, directly or indirectly, whether through one or more subsidiaries or otherwise, other than by way of security only, by or for the benefit of that entity or individual, and
(ii) the votes attached to those securities are sufficient, if exercised, to elect a majority of the directors of the corporation; and
(b) an entity other than a corporation is controlled by an entity or individual if the entity or individual, directly or indirectly, whether through one or more subsidiaries or otherwise, holds an interest in the entity that is not a corporation that entitles them to receive more than 50% of the profits of that entity or more than 50% of its assets on dissolution.
Marginal note:Deemed affiliation
(6) For the purposes of this Order, if it may reasonably be considered that one of the main reasons for the separate existence of two or more corporations is so that one of them meets the applicable conditions for a remission of a fee fixed under this Order for which only small businesses are eligible, the two or more corporations are deemed to be affiliated with each other.
Marginal note:Purpose — fees
(a) in respect of drugs for human use and drugs for veterinary use only, the examination of a new drug submission, a supplement to a new drug submission, an abbreviated new drug submission or a supplement to an abbreviated new drug submission referred to in section C.08.002, C.08.002.1 or C.08.003 of the Food and Drug Regulations, as the case may be, an application in respect of an establishment licence filed under those Regulations or an application for a drug identification number filed under section C.01.014.1 of those Regulations;
(b) in respect of drugs for veterinary use only, the examination of a notification for a veterinary health product filed under subsection C.01.615(1) of the Food and Drug Regulations, a preclinical submission filed under subsection C.08.005(1) of those Regulations, information filed under section C.08.010 of those Regulations for the purpose of obtaining a letter of authorization, information and material filed under section C.08.014 of those Regulations for the purpose of obtaining an experimental studies certificate, information and material filed with the Minister in respect of a notifiable change or a protocol filed with the Minister;
(d) the examination of an application in respect of a medical device licence, the right to sell a medical device or the examination of an application in respect of an establishment licence under the Medical Devices Regulations.
Marginal note:Purpose — remission
(2) The purpose of this Order is also to remit, in whole or in part, certain of those fees.
(a) publicly funded health care institutions;
(b) branches or agencies of the Government of Canada or of the government of a province; or
(c) drugs that are the subject of an extraordinary use new drug submission filed under section C.08.002.01 of the Food and Drug Regulations or of an abbreviated extraordinary use new drug submission filed under section C.08.002.1 of those Regulations.
Marginal note:Definition of publicly funded health care institution
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), publicly funded health care institution means an institution that is funded by the Government of Canada or the government of a province and that is
(a) licensed, approved or designated by a province in accordance with the laws of the province to provide care or treatment to persons or animals suffering from any form of disease or illness; or
(b) owned or operated by the Government of Canada or the government of a province and that provides health services.
Annual Adjustment of Fees
Marginal note:Adjustment of fees
4 (1) Beginning on April 1, 2021, every fee set out in this Order is to be adjusted in each fiscal year on April 1 by the percentage change over 12 months in the April All-items Consumer Price Index for Canada, as published by Statistics Canada under the Statistics Act, for the previous fiscal year and rounded up to the nearest dollar.
(2) In the case of a fee that is payable under any of Divisions 1 to 5 of Part 2 or Division 1 of Part 3 in a fiscal year that is not set out in the applicable schedule, the amount of the fee is to be calculated, on April 1 of the fiscal year, in accordance with the following formula and rounded up to the nearest dollar:
Fee = A + (A × B)
- is the amount of the fee that was payable in the previous fiscal year; and
- is the percentage change over 12 months in the April All-items Consumer Price Index for Canada, as published by Statistics Canada under the Statistics Act, for the previous fiscal year.
Requests for Information — Remissions for Small Businesses
Marginal note:Information on request
5 If the Minister determines, in respect of a person that provided information under any of the following provisions, that additional information is necessary to demonstrate that the person met the definition small business in subsection 1(1) in the applicable fiscal year, the Minister may request that the person provide him or her with additional information within 60 days after the day on which the request is made:
(a) subparagraph 16(a)(ii) or (b)(ii);
(b) clause 17(b)(i)(B) or (ii)(B);
(c) subparagraph 25(a)(ii) or (b)(ii);
(d) clause 26(b)(i)(B) or (ii)(B);
(e) subparagraph 49(a)(ii) or (b)(ii);
(f) subparagraph 53(a)(ii) or (b)(ii);
(g) subparagraph 57(a)(ii) or (b)(ii);
(h) subparagraph 66(a)(ii) or (b)(ii);
(i) clause 67(b)(i)(B) or (ii)(B);
(j) subparagraph 74(a)(ii) or (b)(ii); or
(k) subparagraph 79(a)(ii) or (b)(ii).
- Date modified: