Marginal note:False statements
(2) No person shall knowingly make any false or misleading statement, either orally or in writing, to an inspector engaged in carrying out his duties and functions under this Act.
(3) Except with the authority of an inspector, no person shall remove, alter or interfere in any way with any textile fibre product or other thing detained by an inspector pursuant to the regulations.
- R.S., c. 46(1st Supp.), s. 9
10 (1) Where an inspector believes on reasonable grounds that any provision of this Act or the regulations has been contravened, the inspector may seize and detain any textile fibre product or any labelling, packaging or advertising material by means of or in relation to which the inspector believes on reasonable grounds the contravention was committed.
(2) A textile fibre product or other thing seized and detained pursuant to subsection (1) shall not be detained after
(a) the provisions of this Act or any regulations that are applicable to the textile fibre product or other thing have, in the opinion of the inspector, been complied with, or
(b) the expiration of ninety days after the day of seizure or such longer period as may be prescribed with respect to any textile fibre product,
unless before that time proceedings have been instituted in respect of the contravention, in which event the textile fibre product or other thing may be detained until the proceedings are finally concluded.
- R.S., c. 46(1st Supp.), s. 10
(a) prescribing consumer textile articles for the purposes of this Act and prescribing any other matter or thing that by this Act is to be prescribed;
(b) exempting any textile fibre product or any portion thereof from the application of any provision of this Act or the regulations;
(c) exempting any type of transaction in relation to a prescribed consumer textile article from the prohibition contained in paragraph 3(a);
(d) requiring, authorizing or prohibiting the inclusion in a label of any information or representation in addition to the information required by section 6;
(e) requiring, authorizing or prohibiting the inclusion in any advertising of a consumer textile article of any representation in relation to the textile fibre content of the article;
(f) requiring or authorizing the statement on the container of a consumer textile article of any information or representation required or authorized to be shown in a label, in addition to or in place of the statement of that information or representation in a label;
(g) prescribing the form and manner in which any information or representation required or authorized to be shown in any label, on any container or in any advertisement shall be shown;
(h) prescribing any expressions, words, figures, depictions or symbols the use of which, in relation to a textile fibre product, shall be deemed, unless the contrary is proven, to constitute a false or misleading representation;
(i) prescribing generic names for textile fibres;
(j) prescribing how a textile fibre for which no generic name is prescribed pursuant to this Act shall be described for the purposes of this Act;
(k) requiring the disclosure to the Minister of information in respect of any textile fibre in order to enable a generic name to be prescribed for the textile fibre and prescribing the time and manner in which the disclosure shall be made;
(l) establishing tolerances in relation to the percentage by mass of textile fibres shown in labels or otherwise;
(m) respecting the duties and functions of analysts and the taking of samples of textile fibre products;
(n) respecting the detention of textile fibre products and other things seized pursuant to subsection 10(1);
(o) respecting the disposition of textile fibre products and other things forfeited under section 16; and
(p) generally, for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Act.
Marginal note:Where statement on container deemed to be label
(2) Where any information or representation is required or authorized by the regulations to be stated on the container of a consumer textile article in place of the statement of that information or representation in a label and is so stated, that statement on the container shall be deemed to be a label and to be applied to the article.
Marginal note:Where no generic name for textile fibre
(3) Where a textile fibre comprising or contained in a consumer textile article is a textile fibre for which no generic name and description is set out in the regulations, a label applied to the article shall be deemed to show the generic name of the textile fibre if the textile fibre is described in the label in accordance with the regulations.
- R.S., 1985, c. T-10, s. 11
- 1993, c. 34, s. 120
Offence and Punishment
Marginal note:Contravention of sections 3 to 5
Marginal note:Contravention of other provisions, or regulations
(2) Every person who contravenes any provision of this Act, other than section 3, 4 or 5, or of the regulations is guilty of an offence and liable,
- R.S., c. 46(1st Supp.), s. 12
Marginal note:Offence by employee or agent or mandatary
13 (1) In any prosecution for an offence under this Act, it is sufficient proof of the offence to establish that it was committed by an employee or an agent or mandatary of the accused, whether or not the employee or agent or mandatary is identified or has been prosecuted for the offence, unless the accused establishes that the offence was committed without their knowledge or consent and that they exercised all due diligence to prevent its commission.
Marginal note:Limitation period
(2) Proceedings by way of summary conviction under this Act may be instituted at any time within but not later than twelve months after the time when the subject-matter of the proceedings arose.
(3) A complaint or an information in respect of an offence under this Act may be heard, tried or determined by a court if the accused is resident or carrying on business within the territorial jurisdiction of that court although the matter of the complaint or information did not arise in that territorial jurisdiction.
- R.S., 1985, c. T-10, s. 13
- 2011, c. 21, s. 157
Marginal note:Certificate of analyst
14 (1) Subject to this section, a certificate purporting to be signed by an analyst stating that the analyst has analyzed or examined an article or a product or substance and stating the result of the analysis or examination is, in any prosecution for an offence under this Act, evidence of the statements contained in the certificate without proof of the signature or official character of the person appearing to have signed the certificate.
Marginal note:Attendance of analyst
(2) The party against whom a certificate of an analyst is produced pursuant to subsection (1) may, with leave of the court, require the attendance of the analyst for the purposes of cross-examination.
(3) No certificate shall be admitted in evidence pursuant to subsection (1) unless the party intending to produce it has given to the party against whom it is intended to be produced reasonable notice of the intention together with a copy of the certificate.
- R.S., c. 46(1st Supp.), s. 14
Marginal note:Identification appearing in labels
15 (1) In any prosecution for an offence under this Act, evidence that a label applied to a textile fibre product bore identification purporting to identify the person by or for whom the product was manufactured or made is, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, proof that the person whose identification appeared in the label is the person by or for whom the product was manufactured and the person responsible for the information and representations in the label.
Marginal note:Identification appearing on containers
(2) In any prosecution for an offence under this Act in relation to a textile fibre product to which a label purporting to identify the person by or for whom the product was manufactured or made is not applied, evidence that a container of the product bore identification purporting to identify the person by or for whom the product was manufactured is, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, proof that the person whose identification appeared on the container is the person by or for whom the product was manufactured and the person responsible for the information and representations on the container.
- R.S., c. 46(1st Supp.), s. 15
- Date modified: