PART IStaff Relations (continued)
DIVISION IFederal Public Sector Labour Relations and Employment Board (continued)
Powers, Duties and Functions (continued)
13 (1) The Board shall examine and inquire into any complaint made to it that an employer or an employee organization, or any person acting on behalf of an employer or employee organization, has failed
Marginal note:Order of Board directing compliance
(2) Where under subsection (1) the Board determines that any person has failed to observe any prohibition, to give effect to any provision or decision or to comply with any regulation as described in that subsection, it may make an order, addressed to that person, directing the person to observe the prohibition, give effect to the provision or decision or comply with the regulation, as the case may be, or take such action as may be required in that behalf within such specified period as the Board may consider appropriate and,
(a) where that person has acted or purported to act on behalf of an employer, it shall direct its order as well to the employer; and
(b) where that person has acted or purported to act on behalf of an employee organization, it shall direct its order as well to the chief officer of that employee organization.
Marginal note:Where order not complied with
14 Where any order made under section 13 directs some action to be taken and is not complied with within the period specified in the order for the taking of that action, the Board shall cause a copy of its order, a report of the circumstances and all documents relevant thereto to be laid before each House of Parliament within fifteen days after the expiration of the period or, if that House is not then sitting, on any of the first fifteen days next thereafter on which that House is sitting.
Marginal note:Powers of Board in proceedings
15 The Board has, in relation to the hearing or determination of any proceeding before it, power
(a) to (c) [Repealed, 2013, c. 40, s. 428]
(d) to require an employer to post and keep posted in appropriate places any notices that the Board deems necessary to bring to the attention of any employees any matter or proceeding before the Board;
(e) to enter on the premises of an employer for the purpose of conducting representation votes during working hours; and
(f) to authorize any person to do anything that the Board may do under paragraphs (d) and (e) and to require the person to report to the Board on it.
- R.S., 1985, c. 33 (2nd Supp.), s. 15
- 2013, c. 40, s. 428
Marginal note:Application of orders
16 Where under this Part the Board may make or issue any order or direction, prescribe any term or condition or do any other thing in relation to any person, the Board may do so, either generally or in any particular case or class of cases.
Marginal note:Review or amendment of orders
(2) Any rights acquired by virtue of any decision or order that is reviewed, rescinded, amended, altered or varied pursuant to subsection (1) shall not be altered or extinguished with effect from a day earlier than the day on which the review, rescission, amendment, alteration or variation is made.
DIVISION IICollective Bargaining and Collective Agreements
Certification of Bargaining Agents
Application for Certification
Marginal note:Application by employee organization
18 An employee organization seeking to be certified as bargaining agent for a group of employees that it considers constitutes a unit of employees appropriate for collective bargaining may, subject to section 21, apply in the manner prescribed to the Board for certification as bargaining agent for the proposed bargaining unit.
Marginal note:Application by council of organizations
19 (1) Where two or more employee organizations have come together to form a council of employee organizations, the council so formed may, subject to section 21, apply in the manner prescribed to the Board for certification as described in section 18.
Marginal note:Conditions for certification of council
(2) The Board may certify a council of employee organizations as bargaining agent for a bargaining unit where the Board is satisfied that
Marginal note:Council deemed to be employee organization
20 A council of employee organizations shall, for all purposes of this Part except subsection 19(2), be deemed to be an employee organization, and membership in any employee organization that is part of a council of employee organizations shall for the same purposes be deemed to be membership in the council.
When Application for Certification may be Made
Marginal note:Where agreement for term of not more than two years
21 (1) Where a collective agreement or an arbitral award is in force and is for a term of not more than two years, an employee organization may apply to the Board for certification as bargaining agent for any of the employees in the bargaining unit to which the agreement or award applies only after the commencement of the last two months of its operation.
Marginal note:Where agreement for term of more than two years
(2) Where a collective agreement or an arbitral award is in force and is for a term of more than two years, an employee organization may apply to the Board for certification as bargaining agent for any of the employees in the bargaining unit to which the agreement or award applies only
(a) after the commencement of the twenty-third month of its operation and before the commencement of the twenty-fifth month of its operation;
(b) during the two month period immediately preceding the end of each year that the agreement or award continues to operate after the second year of its operation; or
(c) after the commencement of the last two months of its operation.
Marginal note:Where agreement is for indefinite term
(3) Where a collective agreement referred to in subsection (1) or (2) provides that it will continue to operate after the term specified therein for a further term or successive terms if either party fails to give to the other notice of termination or of its desire to bargain with a view to the renewal, with or without modifications, of the collective agreement, an employee organization may apply to the Board for certification as bargaining agent for any of the employees in the bargaining unit to whom the collective agreement applies at any time permitted by subsection (1) or (2), as the case may be, or during the two month period immediately preceding the end of each year that the collective agreement continues to operate after the term specified therein.
Marginal note:Where no collective agreement or award in force
(4) Where no collective agreement or arbitral award in respect of a bargaining unit is in force but an employee organization has been certified as bargaining agent for any of the employees in the bargaining unit, an employee organization may, after the expiration of twelve months from the date of that certification or, with the consent of the Board, at an earlier time, apply to the Board for certification as bargaining agent for any of the employees in the bargaining unit.
Marginal note:No certification where previous application refused within six months
22 Where an application for certification of an employee organization as bargaining agent for a proposed bargaining unit has been refused by the Board, the Board shall not certify the employee organization as bargaining agent for the same or substantially the same proposed bargaining unit until at least six months have elapsed from the day on which the Board last refused certification, unless the Board is satisfied that the previous application was refused by reason only of a technical error or omission made in connection therewith.
Determination of Appropriate Bargaining Units
Marginal note:Determination of unit
23 (1) Where an employee organization has made application to the Board for certification as described in section 18, the Board shall determine the relevant group of employees that constitutes a unit appropriate for collective bargaining.
Marginal note:Matters to be taken into account
(2) In determining whether a group of employees constitutes a unit appropriate for collective bargaining, the Board shall take into account, having regard to the proper functioning of this Part, the duties and classification of the employees in the proposed bargaining unit in relation to any plan of classification as it may apply to the employees in the proposed bargaining unit.
Marginal note:Composition of bargaining unit
(3) For the purposes of this Part, a unit of employees may be determined by the Board to constitute a unit appropriate for collective bargaining whether or not its composition is identical with the group of employees in respect of which application for certification was made.
- Date modified: