PART INorthern Pipeline Agency (continued)
National Energy Board
Marginal note:Directions to the Board
20 (1) The Governor in Council may, by order, in respect of the pipeline, give directions to the Board respecting the exercise of the powers of the Board under, or the performance of the duties and functions imposed on the Board by, the National Energy Board Act and this Act and the Board shall comply with those directions.
Marginal note:Directions to designated officer
(2) The Governor in Council may, by order, in respect of the pipeline, give directions to the designated officer respecting the exercise of the powers and the performance of the duties and functions of the Board delegated to him by the Board under section 7 or imposed on him by this Act and the designated officer shall comply with those directions.
- 1977-78, c. 20, s. 19
Marginal note:Certificate issued
21 (1) A certificate of public convenience and necessity in respect of the pipeline is hereby declared to be issued to each company listed in Schedule II for that portion of the route indicated in the Agreement in respect of that company.
Marginal note:Certificate considered to be issued by Board
(2) A certificate of public convenience and necessity declared to be issued by subsection (1) is considered to be a certificate issued under section 52 of the National Energy Board Act on April 13, 1978.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions
(3) Every certificate declared to be issued by subsection (1) is subject to the terms and conditions set out in Schedule III.
Marginal note:Amendments of terms and conditions
(4) The Board or the designated officer may rescind, amend or add to the terms and conditions set out in Schedule III or deemed to be set out therein but no rescission of or amendment to such a term or condition or addition of a term or condition is effective without the approval of the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Application of Foreign Investment Review Act
(5) Where any question arises under Schedule III whether a person is or is not a non-eligible person within the meaning of the Foreign Investment Review Act, chapter 46 of the Statutes of Canada, 1973-74, that person shall apply under subsection 4(1) of that Act for a statement in writing from the Minister referred to in that subsection to the effect that the person is not a non-eligible person within the meaning of that Act and that Minister shall deal with the application in the same manner as if it were an application for an opinion pursuant to a question arising under that Act, and any statement in writing furnished by that Minister is binding in accordance with that subsection but only for the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Shareholder agreement not to be amended
(6) Every certificate of public convenience and necessity declared to be issued by this Act is subject to the condition that Westcoast Transmission Company Limited, Alberta Gas Trunk Line Company Limited and Foothills Pipe Lines (Yukon) Ltd. shall not, without the prior approval of the Governor in Council and the Board, terminate, alter or amend the shareholders agreement entered into by those companies dated August 4, 1977 as amended prior to February 3, 1978.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-26, s. 21
- 2012, c. 19, s. 113
Marginal note:Powers of designated officer
22 (1) The designated officer may, with the concurrence of the Minister, issue such orders and directions to the companies and grant such approvals to them as may be necessary to carry out the terms and conditions set out in Schedule III.
Marginal note:Deemed undertakings
(2) Every undertaking given by Foothills Pipe Lines (Yukon) Ltd., the Alberta Gas Trunk Line (Canada) Limited, Westcoast Transmission Company Limited and Alberta Natural Gas Company Ltd. and in the submission of the Alberta Gas Trunk Line Company Limited to the Board, as amended during the Hearing, is deemed to be
- 1977-78, c. 20, s. 21
Marginal note:Publication and report
23 A direction issued by the Governor in Council under subsection 20(1) or (2) or an approval under subsection 21(4) shall be published forthwith in the Canada Gazette and the Minister shall cause a copy of the direction or approval to be laid before Parliament on any of the first fifteen days that either House of Parliament is sitting after the direction or approval is given.
- 1977-78, c. 20, s. 22
Marginal note:Decision or order final
24 (1) A decision or order of the Board in relation to the pipeline is valid and effective, final and conclusive and, except as provided in subsection (2), no such decision or order or any proceeding of the Board resulting in the issue of such a decision or order is subject to any proceeding by way of appeal or review in any court or to be questioned, enjoined, prohibited, removed, restrained, set aside or otherwise affected by any such proceeding.
Marginal note:Judicial review
(2) Where a person is directly affected by a decision or order of the Board in relation to the pipeline, that person may apply for a review of the decision or order under the Federal Courts Act by filing a notice of the application in the Federal Court of Appeal within thirty days after the decision or order is made or within such further time as the Court or a judge thereof may, either before or after the expiration of those thirty days, fix or allow.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-26, s. 24
- 1990, c. 8, s. 59
- 2002, c. 8, s. 182
Marginal note:Native claims unaffected
25 Notwithstanding this Act, any native claim, right, title or interest that the native people of Canada may have had prior to April 13, 1978 in and to the land on which the pipeline will be situated continues to exist until a settlement in respect of any such claim, right, title or interest is effected.
- 1977-78, c. 20, s. 23.1
Marginal note:Notice of failure to comply
(a) a term or condition of a certificate of public convenience and necessity declared to be issued by subsection 21(1), or
(b) an order or direction issued by the Board or the designated officer in relation to such a certificate,
the designated officer may
(2) Where, pursuant to subsection (1), the designated officer gives the company notice of failure to comply and the company fails, within the time set out in the notice and without lawful excuse, to comply with the term or condition or order or direction, set out in the notice, the Minister may issue an assessment against the company imposing a penalty, not exceeding ten thousand dollars for each day during which the failure continues, on the company.
Marginal note:Notice of assessment
(3) Where the Minister issues an assessment under subsection (2) against a company, he shall cause a notice of the assessment to be served forthwith on the company and notice thereof to be published in the Canada Gazette.
(4) A company that objects to an assessment under subsection (2) may, within thirty days from the day of mailing of the notice of assessment, serve on the Minister a notice of objection, in duplicate, in such form as the Governor in Council may prescribe setting out the reason for the objection and the relevant facts.
(5) A notice of assessment under subsection (3) and a notice of objection under subsection (4) shall be served by being sent by registered mail.
(6) On receipt of a notice of objection under subsection (4) from a company, the Minister shall, with all due dispatch, reconsider the assessment objected to and vacate, confirm or vary the assessment and he shall thereupon notify the company of his action by registered mail.
- 1977-78, c. 20, s. 26
Marginal note:Right of appeal
27 (1) Where a company receives a notice referred to in subsection 26(6), the company may, within thirty days after receipt of the notice and without serving a notice of objection to the action taken by the Minister under that subsection, appeal the action to the Federal Court.
Marginal note:Institution of appeal
Marginal note:Burden of proof
(3) In an appeal under this section, the burden of establishing the facts justifying the assessment of the penalty is on the Minister.
Marginal note:Disposal of appeal
(4) The Federal Court may dispose of an appeal under this section by
- R.S., 1985, c. N-26, s. 27
- 2002, c. 8, ss. 182, 183
- Date modified: