Access to Facility to Which Licence Applies
Marginal note:List of authorized persons
31 A licence holder shall establish and maintain a list of all persons authorized by the licence holder to access the facility to which the licence applies, including persons holding a security clearance for that facility and visitors. The licence holder shall provide the Minister with that list if requested to do so.
Marginal note:Obligation to inform Minister
32 If a licence holder decides to prohibit the holder of a security clearance from having access to the facility to which the licence applies, the licence holder shall, without delay, inform the Minister in writing of their decision.
Marginal note:Access to facilities
33 No person shall enter the part of a facility in which controlled activities are authorized in relation to human pathogens that fall into Risk Group 3 or Risk Group 4 and are prescribed by regulation or toxins prescribed by regulation unless
(a) they hold a security clearance for that part of the facility; or
(b) they are, in accordance with the regulations, if any, accompanied and supervised by a person who holds a security clearance for that part of the facility.
Marginal note:Issuance, suspension and revocation
34 (1) The Minister may, in accordance with the regulations, issue a security clearance to any individual or suspend or revoke a security clearance. The Minister shall notify the individual concerned in writing of the decision.
(2) The Minister may, by way of an agreement, authorize any federal department or agency to issue, suspend or revoke security clearances and section 35 applies with any necessary modifications.
Marginal note:Reconsideration of decision
35 (1) If the Minister refuses to issue a security clearance or suspends or revokes a security clearance, the individual concerned may, within 30 days after the day on which the notice is received, request in writing that the Minister reconsider the decision.
Marginal note:Request for reconsideration
(2) The request for reconsideration must set out
Marginal note:Opportunity to make representations
(3) On receipt of a request made in accordance with this section, the Minister shall give the individual concerned a reasonable opportunity to make representations.
Marginal note:Confirmation or variation of decision
(4) Within a reasonable time after representations have been made or an opportunity to do so has been given, the Minister shall reconsider the decision, in accordance with the regulations, if any, and confirm or vary it.
(5) The Minister shall notify the individual concerned in writing of the decision made following the reconsideration.
Biological Safety Officers
Marginal note:Obligations not limited
(2) A designation does not have the effect of limiting the obligations of the licence holder or any other person under this Act.
(3) An individual may be designated as a biological safety officer only if the individual has the qualifications set out in the regulations.
Marginal note:Effect of designation
(4) A designation takes effect on the day on which the designated individual provides the Minister with their written consent to the designation or the day on which the individual begins to act as a biological safety officer, whichever is earlier.
Marginal note:Powers and functions
(5) The biological safety officer may exercise the powers and shall carry out the functions set out in the regulations.
(6) If an individual ceases to act as a biological safety officer, the licence holder shall, without delay, designate another individual and inform the Minister of the new designation.
37 Subsection 7(1) and section 8 do not apply to
(a) an inspector or analyst carrying out their functions under this Act;
(b) a peace officer carrying out their functions under any federal or provincial Act or a person providing assistance to that peace officer;
(c) any person who, in the course of their employment, outside a facility in which controlled activities are authorized, collects a sample for the purpose of laboratory analysis or diagnostic testing; or
(d) in exigent circumstances, any person carrying out their functions under any federal or provincial Act.
Marginal note:Provision of information to Minister
38 (1) The Minister may order an applicant, a licence holder or a biological safety officer to provide the Minister, in accordance with any conditions that the Minister may specify, with any information that is under that person’s control, including personal information and confidential business information, and that the Minister believes, on reasonable grounds, is relevant to the administration of this Act or the regulations.
(2) The information that is to be provided may include information regarding
(a) the human pathogens or toxins in the possession of the applicant, licence holder or biological safety officer;
(b) the persons having access to the human pathogens or toxins referred to in paragraph (a);
(c) the facility in which the controlled activities are authorized or in respect of which an application for a licence has been submitted; and
(d) the controlled activities that are authorized by a licence or in respect of which an application for a licence has been submitted.
Marginal note:Obligation to provide information
(3) An applicant, a licence holder or a biological safety officer shall provide the Minister with the information, in accordance with any conditions that the Minister may specify.
Marginal note:Excluded information
(4) Despite subsections (1) to (3), the Minister of National Defence may refuse to disclose any information the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to be injurious to the defence or security of Canada or of a state allied or associated with Canada.
Marginal note:Disclosure by Minister
39 (1) The Minister may, without the consent of the person to whom the information relates, disclose personal information and confidential business information obtained under this Act to a person from whom the Minister seeks advice, to a department or agency of the government of Canada or a province, to a foreign government or to an international organization if
(a) the disclosure is necessary for the administration or enforcement of this Act or the regulations;
(b) the Minister has reasonable grounds to believe that the disclosure is necessary to address a serious and imminent danger to the health or safety of the public; or
(c) the disclosure is necessary to enable Canada to fulfil its international obligations.
Marginal note:Adequate protection
(2) Except in the circumstances described in paragraph (1)(b), before disclosing the information to any person other than Her Majesty in right of Canada or an agent of Her Majesty, the Minister must obtain the person’s written agreement that they will maintain the confidentiality of the information unless they are required by law to disclose it.
Administration and Enforcement
Marginal note:Designation of inspectors
40 (1) The Minister may designate any individual, or class of individuals, as an inspector for the administration and enforcement of this Act and the regulations and may restrict in any manner that the Minister considers appropriate the powers that an inspector may exercise under this Act.
Marginal note:Certificate to be produced
(2) The Minister shall provide an inspector with a certificate of designation and, on entering any place or conveyance under subsection 41(1), the inspector shall produce the certificate to the person in charge of that place or conveyance if requested to do so.
- Date modified: