PART IIGeneral Rules Relating to Issuance of Interests (continued)
Issuance of Interests in Relation to Crown Reserve Lands
Marginal note:Calls for bids
(a) prior thereto, the Minister has made a call for bids in relation to those Crown reserve lands by publishing a notice in accordance with this section and section 19; and
(b) the interest is issued to the person who submitted, in response to the call, the bid selected by the Minister in accordance with subsection 15(1).
Marginal note:Requests for postings of frontier lands
(2) Any request received by the Minister to make a call for bids in relation to particular frontier lands shall be considered by the Minister in selecting the frontier lands to be specified in a call for bids.
Marginal note:Contents of call
(3) A call for bids shall specify
(a) the interest to be issued and the frontier lands to which the interest is to apply;
(b) where applicable, the geological formations and substances to which the interest is to apply;
(c) the other terms and conditions subject to which the interest is to be issued;
(d) any terms and conditions that a bid must satisfy to be considered by the Minister;
(e) the form and manner in which a bid is to be submitted;
(f) subject to subsection (4), the closing date for the submission of bids; and
(g) the sole criterion that the Minister will apply in assessing bids submitted in response to the call.
Marginal note:Time of publishing call
(4) Unless otherwise prescribed, a call for bids shall be published at least one hundred and twenty days before the closing date for the submission of bids specified in the call.
Marginal note:Selection of bid
Marginal note:Publication of bid selected
(2) Where the Minister selects a bid submitted in response to a call for bids, the Minister shall publish a notice in accordance with section 19 setting out the terms and conditions of that bid.
Marginal note:Interest to be consistent with bid
(3) Where an interest is to be issued as a result of a call for bids, the terms and conditions of the interest shall be substantially consistent with any terms and conditions in respect of the interest specified in the call.
Marginal note:Publication of terms and conditions of interest
(4) The Minister shall publish a notice in accordance with section 19 setting out the terms and conditions of any interest issued as a result of a call for bids as soon as practicable after the issuance thereof.
Marginal note:Issuance of interest not required
Marginal note:New call required
(2) Subject to section 17, where the Minister has not issued an interest with respect to a particular portion of the frontier lands specified in a call for bids within six months after the closing date specified in the call for the submission of bids, the Minister shall, before issuing an interest in relation to that portion of the frontier lands, make a new call for bids.
Marginal note:Exception to call for bids
(a) the frontier lands to which the interest is to apply have, through error or inadvertence, become Crown reserve lands and the interest owner who last held an interest in relation to such lands has, within one year after the time they so became Crown reserve lands, requested the Minister to issue an interest; or
(b) the Minister is issuing the interest to an interest owner in exchange for the surrender by the interest owner, at the request of the Minister, of any other interest or a share in any other interest, in relation to all or any portion of the frontier lands subject to that other interest.
(2) Where the Minister proposes to issue an interest under subsection (1), he shall, not later than ninety days before issuing the interest, publish a notice in accordance with section 19 setting out the terms and conditions of the proposed interest.
Marginal note:Interest not vitiated by failure to comply with call procedures
18 Where an interest has been issued, it is not vitiated by reason only of a failure to comply with any of the requirements set out in sections 14 to 17 respecting the form and content of, and time and manner of publishing, any notice required by those sections in relation to that interest.
Marginal note:Manner of publication of notices
19 Any notice required to be published by the Minister pursuant to subsection 14(1), 15(2) or (4), 17(2) or 25(2) shall be published in the Canada Gazette and in any other publication the Minister deems appropriate and, notwithstanding those subsections, may contain only a summary of the information required to be published and a statement that the full text thereof is available for inspection by any person on request made to the Minister.
20 The Governor in Council may, for the purposes of section 14, make regulations of general application in relation to all frontier lands or any portion thereof, or in respect of any particular call for bids, prescribing the terms, conditions and criterion to be specified in a call for bids, the manner in which bids are to be submitted and requiring those terms and conditions and that criterion and manner to be specified in the call.
Marginal note:Benefits plan
21 No work or activity on any frontier lands that are subject to an interest shall be commenced until the Minister has approved, or waived the requirement of approval of, a benefits plan in respect of the work or activity pursuant to subsection 5.2(2) of the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. 36 (2nd Supp.), s. 21
- 1992, c. 35, s. 35
Marginal note:Rights under exploration licences
22 An exploration licence confers, with respect to the frontier lands to which the licence applies,
(a) the right to explore for, and the exclusive right to drill and test for, petroleum;
(b) the exclusive right to develop those frontier lands in order to produce petroleum; and
(c) the exclusive right, subject to compliance with the other provisions of this Act, to obtain a production licence.
23 A share in an exploration licence may, subject to any requirements that may be prescribed, be held with respect to a portion only of any frontier lands subject to the exploration licence.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions
24 (1) An exploration licence shall contain such terms and conditions as may be prescribed and may contain any other terms and conditions, not inconsistent with this Act or the regulations, as may be agreed on by the Minister and the interest owner of the licence.
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing terms and conditions required to be included in exploration licences issued in relation to all frontier lands or any portion thereof.
Marginal note:Amendment of exploration licence
25 (1) The Minister and the interest owner of an exploration licence may, by agreement, amend any provision of the exploration licence in any manner not inconsistent with this Act or the regulations and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, may, subject to subsection (2), amend the licence to include any other frontier lands.
(2) The Minister shall not amend an exploration licence to include frontier lands that, immediately prior to the inclusion, were Crown reserve lands unless the Minister would be able to issue an interest to that interest owner in relation to those lands under subsection 17(1) and a notice has been published in accordance with section 19 not later than ninety days before making the amendment, setting out the terms and conditions of the amendment.
Marginal note:Consolidation of exploration licences
(3) The Minister may, on the application of the interest owners of two or more exploration licences, consolidate those exploration licences into a single exploration licence, subject to any terms and conditions that may be agreed on by the Minister and those interest owners.
- Date modified: