Canada Business Corporations Act
Marginal note:Liability of directors for wages
119 (1) Directors of a corporation are jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable to employees of the corporation for all debts not exceeding six months wages payable to each such employee for services performed for the corporation while they are such directors respectively.
Marginal note:Conditions precedent to liability
(2) A director is not liable under subsection (1) unless
(a) the corporation has been sued for the debt within six months after it has become due and execution has been returned unsatisfied in whole or in part;
(b) the corporation has commenced liquidation and dissolution proceedings or has been dissolved and a claim for the debt has been proved within six months after the earlier of the date of commencement of the liquidation and dissolution proceedings and the date of dissolution; or
(c) the corporation has made an assignment or a bankruptcy order has been made against it under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and a claim for the debt has been proved within six months after the date of the assignment or bankruptcy order.
(3) A director, unless sued for a debt referred to in subsection (1) while a director or within two years after ceasing to be a director, is not liable under this section.
Marginal note:Amount due after execution
(4) Where execution referred to in paragraph (2)(a) has issued, the amount recoverable from a director is the amount remaining unsatisfied after execution.
Marginal note:Subrogation of director
(5) Where a director pays a debt referred to in subsection (1) that is proved in liquidation and dissolution or bankruptcy proceedings, the director is entitled to any preference that the employee would have been entitled to, and where a judgment has been obtained, the director is entitled to an assignment of the judgment.
(6) A director who has satisfied a claim under this section is entitled to contribution from the other directors who were liable for the claim.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-44, s. 119
- 1992, c. 27, s. 90
- 2001, c. 14, ss. 47, 135(E)
- 2004, c. 25, s. 187
- Date modified: