Marginal note:Addition to stated capital account
81. On a conversion of any debt obligation of a company into shares of a class or series of shares, the company shall
(a) deduct from the liabilities of the company the nominal value of the debt obligation being converted; and
(b) record the result obtained under paragraph (a) and any additional consideration received for the conversion in the stated capital account maintained or to be maintained for the class or series of shares into which the debt obligation has been converted.
Marginal note:Declaration of dividend
82. (1) The directors of a company may declare and a company may pay a dividend by issuing fully paid shares of the company or options or rights to acquire fully paid shares of the company and, subject to subsection (4), the directors of a company may declare and a company may pay a dividend in money or property, and where a dividend is to be paid in money, the dividend may be paid in a currency other than the currency of Canada.
Marginal note:Notice to Superintendent
(2) The directors of a company shall notify the Superintendent of the declaration of a dividend at least 15 days before the day fixed for its payment.
Marginal note:Share dividend
(3) If shares of a company are issued in payment of a dividend, the company shall record in the stated capital account maintained or to be maintained for the shares of the class or series issued in payment of the dividend the declared amount of the dividend stated as an amount of money.
Marginal note:When dividend not to be declared
(4) The directors of a company shall not declare and a company shall not pay a dividend if there are reasonable grounds for believing that the company is, or the payment would cause the company to be, in contravention of any regulation referred to in subsection 473(1) or (2) or any direction made pursuant to subsection 473(3).
(5) [Repealed, 2007, c. 6, s. 345]
- 1991, c. 45, s. 82;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 494;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 345.
Marginal note:Restriction on subordinated indebtedness
83. (1) A company shall not issue subordinated indebtedness unless the subordinated indebtedness is fully paid for in money or, with the approval of the Superintendent, in property.
Marginal note:References to subordinated indebtedness
(2) A person shall not in any prospectus, advertisement, correspondence or literature relating to any subordinated indebtedness issued or to be issued by a company refer to the subordinated indebtedness otherwise than as subordinated indebtedness.
Marginal note:Deemed not to be a deposit
(3) Subordinated indebtedness issued by a company is deemed not to be a deposit.
Marginal note:Other currencies
(4) When issuing subordinated indebtedness, a company may provide that any aspect of the subordinated indebtedness relating to money or involving the payment of or the liability to pay money in relation thereto be in a currency other than that of Canada including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, the payment of any interest thereon.
- Date modified: