Marginal note:Court review of election
161. (1) A company or a shareholder, policyholder or director of a company may apply to a court to resolve any dispute in respect of the election or appointment of a director or an auditor of the company.
Marginal note:Powers of court
(2) On an application under subsection (1), a court may make any order it thinks fit including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing,
(a) an order restraining a director or auditor whose election or appointment is challenged from acting pending determination of the dispute;
(b) an order declaring the result of the disputed election or appointment;
(c) an order requiring a new election or appointment, and including in the order directions for the management of the business and affairs of the company until a new election is held or the new appointment is made; and
(d) an order determining the voting rights of shareholders, persons claiming to own shares, policyholders and persons claiming to be policyholders.
Marginal note:Notice to Superintendent
162. (1) A person who makes an application under subsection 160(1) or 161(1) shall give notice of the application to the Superintendent before the hearing and shall deliver a copy of the order of the court, if any, to the Superintendent.
Marginal note:Superintendent representation
(2) The Superintendent may appear and be heard in person or by counsel at the hearing of an application referred to in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Pooling agreement
163. A written agreement between two or more shareholders or policyholders may provide that in exercising voting rights the shares or policies held by them will be voted as provided in the agreement.
164. The definitions in this section apply in this Division.
« intermédiaire »
“intermediary” means a person who holds a security on behalf of another person who is not the registered holder of the security, and includes
(a) a securities broker or dealer required to be registered to trade or deal in securities under the laws of any jurisdiction;
(b) a securities depositary;
(c) a financial institution;
(d) in relation to a clearing agency, a securities dealer, trust company, association within the meaning of section 2 of the Cooperative Credit Associations Act, bank or other person, including another clearing agency, on whose behalf the clearing agency or its nominee holds securities of an issuer;
(e) a trustee or administrator of a self-administered retirement savings plan, retirement income fund or education savings plan or another similar self-administered savings or investment plan registered under the Income Tax Act;
(f) a nominee of a person referred to in any of paragraphs (a) to (e); and
(g) a person who performs functions similar to those performed by a person referred to in any of paragraphs (a) to (e) and holds a security registered in their name, or in the name of their nominee, on behalf of another person who is not the registered holder of the security.
“registrant”[Repealed, 2005, c. 54, s. 239]
“solicit” or “solicitation”
« sollicitation »
“solicit” or “solicitation” includes
(a) a request for a proxy, whether or not accompanied by or included in a form of proxy,
(b) a request to execute or not to execute a form of proxy or to revoke a proxy,
(c) the sending of a form of proxy or other communication to a shareholder or policyholder under circumstances reasonably calculated to result in the procurement, withholding or revocation of a proxy, and
(d) the sending of a form of proxy to a shareholder or a policyholder under section 164.03,
but does not include
(e) the sending of a form of proxy in response to an unsolicited request made by or on behalf of a shareholder or policyholder,
(f) the performance of administrative acts or professional services on behalf of a person soliciting a proxy,
(g) the sending by a registrant of the documents referred to in section 164.06, or
(h) a solicitation by a person in respect of shares of which that person is the beneficial owner.
“solicitation by or on behalf of the management of a company”
« sollicitation effectuée par la direction d’une société ou pour son compte »
“solicitation by or on behalf of the management of a company” means a solicitation by any person pursuant to a resolution or instruction of, or with the acquiescence of, the directors or a committee of the directors of the company.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 164;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 197;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 239.
- Date modified: