Brokers and Agents
Marginal note:Issue of customs broker’s licence
9. (1) Subject to the regulations, the Minister or any person designated by the Minister for the purposes of this section may issue to any person who is qualified under the regulations a licence to transact business as a customs broker.
Marginal note:Amendment, etc., of licence
(2) Subject to the regulations, the Minister may amend, suspend, renew, cancel or reinstate any licence issued under subsection (1), and any person designated by the Minister for the purpose of this section may amend, suspend, renew, cancel or reinstate any licence issued by himself under subsection (1).
(3) If an officer so requests, a customs broker shall make available to the officer, within the time specified by the officer, any records that the customs broker is required by the regulations to keep.
(4) No person shall transact or attempt to transact business as a customs broker or hold himself out as a customs broker unless the person holds a licence issued under subsection (1) or unless he is qualified under the regulations and is duly authorized to transact business as a customs broker by a person who holds such a licence, but nothing in this subsection shall be so construed as to prohibit any person from transacting business on his own behalf under this Act, or to prohibit persons administering estates or other duly authorized agents from transacting business under this Act.
(5) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) prescribing qualifications as to citizenship, residence and knowledge of the laws and procedures relating to importations and exportations and any other qualifications that must be met by an applicant for a customs broker’s licence issued under subsection (1), and any such qualifications that must be met by a person who transacts business as a customs broker on behalf of a person so licensed;
(b) prescribing the terms and conditions on which such licences may be issued, including the security that may be required and the fees, if any, to be paid for the licences;
(c) prescribing the duration of such licences;
(d) prescribing the manner of applying for such licences or for renewals thereof;
(e) providing for the examination of applicants for such licences, and of persons who will transact business as customs brokers on their behalf, by the Minister or by any other person with respect to their knowledge of the laws and procedures relating to importations and exportations;
(f) prescribing the examination fees to be paid, the amount of any deposit that may be taken in respect thereof and the conditions under which such fees or deposits may be refunded;
(g) prescribing the records to be kept by customs brokers and the period of time for which they shall be kept; and
(h) prescribing the manner and circumstances in which the Minister may suspend or cancel a customs broker’s licence issued under subsection (1) or any other person may suspend or cancel such a licence issued by himself thereunder, and the circumstances in which a customs broker’s licence shall be surrendered.
- R.S., 1985, c. 1, (2nd Supp.), s. 9;
- 2001, c. 25, s. 9.
- Date modified: