Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
7.3 (1) Where an employee in a work place may be exposed to an A-weighted sound pressure level equal to or greater than 84 dBA for a duration that is likely to endanger the employee’s hearing, the employer shall, without delay,
(2) [Repealed, SOR/98-589, s. 2]
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1), the measurement of the A-weighted sound pressure level in a work place shall be performed instantaneously, during normal working conditions, using the slow response setting of a sound level meter.
(4) In the investigation referred to in subsection (1), the following matters shall be considered:
(a) the sources of sound in the work place;
(b) the A-weighted sound pressure levels to which the employee is likely to be exposed and the duration of such exposure;
(c) the methods being used to reduce this exposure;
(d) whether the exposure of the employee is likely to exceed the limits prescribed by section 7.4; and
(e) whether the employee is likely to be exposed to a noise exposure level (Lex,8) equal to or greater than 84 dBA.
(5) On completion of the investigation and after consultation with the work place committee or the health and safety representative, the person appointed to carry out the investigation shall set out in a written report signed and dated by the person
(a) observations respecting the matters considered in accordance with subsection (4);
(b) recommendations respecting the measures that should be taken in order to comply with sections 7.4 to 7.8; and
(c) recommendations respecting the use of hearing protectors by employees who are exposed to a noise exposure level (Lex,8) equal to or greater than 84 dBA and not greater than 87 dBA.
(6) The report shall be kept by the employer at the work place in respect of which it applies for a period of ten years after the date of the report.
(7) Where it is stated in the report that an employee is likely to be exposed to a noise exposure level (Lex,8) equal to or greater than 84 dBA, the employer shall, without delay,
- SOR/91-448, s. 1
- SOR/98-589, s. 2
- SOR/2002-208, s. 10
- Date modified: