Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
3.11 (1) Commercially manufactured portable ladders shall meet the standards set out in CSA Standard CAN3-Z11-M81, Portable Ladders, the English version of which is dated September, 1981, as amended to March, 1983 and the French version of which is dated August, 1982, as amended to June, 1983.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), every portable ladder shall, while being used,
(3) Where, because of the nature of the location or of the work being done, a portable ladder cannot be securely fastened in place, it shall, while being used, be sloped so that the base of the ladder is not less than one-quarter and not more than one-third of the length of the ladder from a point directly below the top of the ladder and at the same level as the base.
(4) Every portable ladder that provides access from one level to another shall extend at least three rungs above the higher level.
(5) Metal or wire-bound portable ladders shall not be used where there is a hazard that they may come into contact with any live electrical circuit or equipment.
(6) No employee shall work from any of the three top rungs of any single or extension portable ladder or from either of the two top steps of any portable step ladder.
- SOR/88-632, s. 7(F)
- Date modified: