Radiation Protection Regulations
15 (1) The effective dose limits and equivalent dose limits prescribed in sections 13 and 14 do not apply to a person participating in the control of an emergency.
(2) A licensee who requests a person to participate in the control of an emergency shall ensure that the person does not receive an effective dose greater than 50 mSv or an equivalent dose to the skin greater than 500 mSv unless that person is taking an emergency action described in Column 1 of the table to subsection (3).
(3) A licensee who requests a person participate in the control of an emergency shall ensure, if that person takes an emergency action described in Column 1 of the table to this subsection, that the person does not receive an effective dose greater than that described in Column 2 or an equivalent dose to the skin greater than that described in Column 3.
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Item Action Effective dose (mSv) Equivalent dose to the skin (mSv) 1 Actions to minimize dose consequences, for members of the public, associated with the release of radioactive material 100 1 000 2 Actions to prevent health effects of radiation that are fatal or life-threatening, or that result in permanent injury 500 5 000 3 Actions to prevent the development of conditions that could significantly affect people and the environment 500 5 000
(4) If, on the request of a licensee, a person takes actions described in more than one item of the table to subsection (3), the licensee shall ensure that the effective dose received by that person does not exceed 500 mSv and that the equivalent dose to the skin received by that person does not exceed 5 000 mSv.
(5) A licensee shall limit the effective dose and equivalent dose received by and committed to persons participating in the control of an emergency to as low as is reasonably achievable, social and economic factors being taken into account.
(6) A licensee shall notify as soon as feasible the person who received the dose of radiation and the Commission in the event that the licensee becomes aware that any of the dose limits prescribed in subsection (2), (3) or (4) may have been exceeded.
(7) A licensee shall not request that a pregnant woman participate in the control of an emergency.
(8) The dose limits prescribed by subsections (2), (3) and (4) and sections 13 and 14 may be exceeded by a person who acts voluntarily to save or protect human life.
- SOR/2017-199, s. 1
- Date modified: