Health of Animals Regulations
79.19 (1) No person shall operate a hatchery unless
(a) the hatchery is a health monitored hatchery; and
(b) individual fluff samples or such other samples as may be required by an inspector from each hatcher in the hatchery are submitted by the owner or operator of the hatchery to an approved laboratory for testing every sixth week as follows:
(i) in respect of a hatchery that hatches less than four times a week, samples shall be submitted from all hatchers from which chicks are removed during the sixth week, and
(ii) in respect of a hatchery that hatches four or more times a week, samples shall be submitted from all hatchers from which chicks are removed on two consecutive days during the sixth week.
(2) A person who wishes to obtain a permit shall apply to the Minister.
(3) Every application for a permit shall have annexed thereto a copy of the plans and specifications of the hatchery showing
(a) the dimensions of the rooms and the positions of doors, windows, stairways and drains;
(b) the lighting, heating and ventilating systems;
(c) the location of equipment; and
(d) the materials to be used in the construction of all floors, walls and ceilings.
(4) Where the premises in respect of which a permit was issued are not operated as a hatchery for a period of 12 consecutive months, the permit shall expire at the end of that period.
(5) The Minister may refuse to issue a permit if the Regional Director is of the opinion that the hatchery in respect of which the permit is applied for is not maintained and equipped in accordance with section 8 of the Hatchery Regulations and cannot be operated in accordance with that section.
(6) A separate permit shall be issued and a permit number assigned for each of the premises in which a hatchery is to be operated.
(7) No person shall sell or remove chicks from a hatchery that does not meet the requirements of paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) unless he has the permission of the Minister in writing.
(8) Every operator of a hatchery shall ensure that any chick or unhatched embryo that is killed in the hatchery is killed in a humane manner.
- SOR/82-670, s. 2
- SOR/83-901, s. 3
- SOR/85-689, s. 8
- SOR/97-85, s. 57
- SOR/2019-99, s. 9
- Date modified: