Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations

Version of section 4 from 2013-12-06 to 2024-02-06:

  •  (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person is competent to operate a pleasure craft

    • (a) if the person has received a mark of at least 75 per cent on a test and has been issued a Pleasure Craft Operator Card;

    • (b) if the person had successfully completed a recreational boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999 and has a Boating Safety Course Completion Card or other written proof of that completion; or

    • (c) in the case of a pleasure craft rented from a rental agency or from a representative of a rental agency,

      • (i) if the person meets the condition set out in paragraphs (a) or (b), or

      • (ii) if the person and the agency or representative complete and sign, before the pleasure craft is operated, a rental boat safety checklist that contains the information referred to in section 8 and the person operates the pleasure craft only during the rental period.

  • (2) A person who is not a resident of Canada is competent to operate a pleasure craft if the person

    • (a) has proof of competency as set out in subsection (1); or

    • (b) has been issued a certificate or other similar document that meets the requirements of the person’s state or country.

  • SOR/2007-124, s. 3, err., Vol. 141, No. 15
  • SOR/2013-234, s. 3

Date modified: