Motor Vehicle Tire Safety Regulations
Marginal note:Content of notice of defect
13 (1) A notice of defect required to be given under section 10 of the Act must contain the following information:
(a) the name, telephone number, postal address and email address of the company giving the notice of defect;
(b) the name of the manufacturer of the tire;
(c) the brand name, size designation, type and tire identification number for each tire for which the notice of defect is given, the period during which the tire was manufactured and any other information necessary to permit the identification of the tire;
(d) the estimated percentage of tires of the brand name, size designation and type referred to in paragraph (c) that potentially contain the defect;
(e) a description of the defect;
(f) a concise evaluation of the risk to the safety of persons that arises from the defect;
(g) a concise statement of the measures to be taken to correct the defect, including the instruction that the tire identification number not be removed unless the tire is destroyed or otherwise rendered permanently unusable;
(h) any conditions affecting the correction of the defect; and
(i) the number, title or other identification assigned by the company to the notice of defect.
Marginal note:Notice requirements
(2) The notice of defect must be given in writing and, when it is to be given to a person other than the Minister, must be
(a) in both official languages; or
(b) in the person’s official language of choice, if it is known.
Marginal note:Prescribed person
(3) For the purposes of subsection 10(1) of the Act, the person who obtained the tire from the company is a prescribed person.
Marginal note:Notice within 60 days
(4) The notice of defect must be given to the current owner and to the person who obtained the tire from the company as soon as possible after the company becomes aware of the defect, but no later than 60 days after the day on which the company becomes aware of it.
(5) A company must, within 30 days after the day on which it gives a notice of defect to the Minister under paragraph 10(1)(a) of the Act, submit to the Minister a report containing, in addition to the information required by subsection (1), the following information:
(a) the number of tires for which the notice of defect was given and the number of those tires for each size designation;
(b) a chronology of the principal events that led to the determination of the existence of the defect;
(c) copies of all notices, bulletins and other circulars issued by the company in respect of the defect; and
(d) a detailed description of the nature of the defect and of its location on the tire, with any related diagrams or illustrations.
Marginal note:Quarterly reports
(6) After submitting the report referred to in subsection (5), a company must, for a period of two years after the day on which it gives the notice of defect to the Minister, submit to the Minister quarterly reports containing the following information:
(a) the number, title or other identification assigned by the company to the notice of defect;
(b) the revised number of tires for which the notice of defect was given, if applicable;
(c) the dates on which notices of defect were given to the current owners of the affected tires;
(d) the number of tires inspected by or at the direction of the company;
(e) the number of tires found on inspection to contain the defect; and
(f) a statement setting out the manner in which the company disposed of the defective tires.
- SOR/2015-111, s. 4
- Date modified: