Food and Drug Regulations
(a) any information required by these Regulations, other than the information required to appear on the principal display panel or the nutrition facts table and the information required by sections B.01.007, B.01.301, B.01.305, B.01.311, B.01.503, B.01.513 and B.01.601; and
(b) where a prepackaged product consists of more than one ingredient, a list of all ingredients, including, subject to section B.01.009, components, if any.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to
(a) prepackaged products packaged from bulk on retail premises, except prepackaged products that are a mixture of nuts;
(b) prepackaged individual portions of food that are served by a restaurant or other commercial enterprise with meals or snacks;
(c) prepackaged individual servings of food that are prepared by a commissary and sold by automatic vending machines or mobile canteens;
(d) prepackaged meat and meat by-products that are barbecued, roasted or broiled on the retail premises;
(e) prepackaged poultry, poultry meat or poultry meat by-products that are barbecued, roasted or broiled on the retail premises;
(f) Bourbon whisky and prepackaged products subject to compositional standards in Division 2; or
(g) prepackaged products subject to compositional standards in Division 19.
(3) Ingredients shall be shown in descending order of their proportion of the prepackaged product or as a percentage of the prepackaged product and the order or percentage shall be the order or percentage of the ingredients before they are combined to form the prepackaged product.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3), the following ingredients may be shown at the end of the list of ingredients in any order:
(a) spices, seasonings and herbs, except salt;
(b) natural and artificial flavours;
(c) flavour enhancers;
(d) food additives, except ingredients of food additive preparations or mixtures of substances for use as a food additive;
(f) salts or derivatives of vitamins;
(g) mineral nutrients; and
(h) salts of mineral nutrients.
(5) Components shall be shown
(a) immediately after the ingredient of which they are components in such a manner as to indicate that they are components of the ingredient, except that if a source of a food allergen or gluten is required by paragraph B.01.010.1(8)(a) to be shown immediately after that ingredient, they shall instead be shown immediately after that source; and
(b) in descending order of their proportion of the ingredient.
(6) Notwithstanding paragraph (1)(b) and subsection (5), but subject to section B.01.009, where one or more components of an ingredient are required by these Regulations to be shown in the list of ingredients on the label of a prepackaged product, the ingredient that contains the components is not required to be shown in the list if all components of that ingredient are listed by their common names with the other ingredients of the product
the order or percentage, as the case may be, being based
(7) Notwithstanding paragraph (1)(b), wax coating compounds and their components are not required to be shown on the label of a prepackaged fresh fruit or fresh vegetable as an ingredient or component thereof.
(8) Notwithstanding paragraph (1)(b), sausage casings are not required to be shown on the label of prepackaged sausages as an ingredient or component thereof.
(9) Notwithstanding paragraph (1)(b), hydrogen, when used for hydrogenation purposes, is not required to be shown on the label of any prepackaged product as an ingredient or component thereof.
(10) Notwithstanding paragraph (1)(b), components of ingredients of a sandwich made with bread are not required to be shown in the list of ingredients on the label of the sandwich.
- SOR/79-23, s. 5
- SOR/88-559, s. 3
- SOR/92-626, s. 7
- SOR/93-145, s. 1
- SOR/2003-11, s. 5
- SOR/2011-28, s. 1
- Date modified: