Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Canada Labour Code

Version of section 251.04 from 2014-04-01 to 2020-12-31:

Marginal note:Settlement of amounts due

  •  (1) If an employer and an employee who has made a complaint relating to the non-payment of wages or other amounts to which they are entitled under this Part reach a settlement in writing on the wages or other amounts to be paid, the employer may pay those amounts to the employee or to the Minister.

  • Marginal note:If amount paid to Minister

    (2) If an employer pays the amounts to the Minister, the Minister shall, without delay after receiving them, pay them over to the employee who is entitled to the amounts.

  • Marginal note:Minister’s consent required for prosecution

    (3) No prosecution for failure to pay an employee the wages or other amounts that were the subject of the complaint may without the written consent of the Minister be instituted against an employer if the employer has paid the amount of wages or other amounts referred to in subsection (1) to the employee or the Minister.

  • 2012, c. 31, s. 223

Date modified: