Corrections and Conditional Release Act (S.C. 1992, c. 20)
- HTMLFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act [707 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act [1274 KB]
Act current to 2023-03-06 and last amended on 2022-06-23. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Routine searches
61 (1) A staff member may, in the prescribed manner, conduct routine searches of vehicles at a penitentiary, without individualized suspicion, in the prescribed circumstances, which circumstances must be limited to what is reasonably required for security purposes.
Marginal note:Searches for contraband
(2) A staff member who believes on reasonable grounds that contraband is located in a vehicle at a penitentiary in circumstances constituting an offence under section 45 may, with prior authorization from the institutional head, search the vehicle.
Marginal note:Emergency searches
(3) Where a staff member believes on reasonable grounds that the delay that would be necessary in order to comply with the prior authorization requirement of subsection (2) would result in danger to human life or safety or the loss or destruction of the contraband, the staff member may search the vehicle without that prior authorization.
Marginal note:Exceptional power to search
(4) An institutional head may, in writing, authorize a staff member to search the vehicles at a penitentiary if the institutional head has reasonable grounds to believe that
(a) there is a clear and substantial danger to the security of the penitentiary or the life or safety of persons because evidence exists that there is contraband at the penitentiary or that a criminal offence is being planned or has been committed at the penitentiary; and
(b) it is necessary to search the vehicles in order to locate and seize the contraband or other evidence and to avert the danger.
- 1992, c. 20, s. 61
- 2012, c. 1, s. 65
- 2019, c. 27, s. 19(F)
- Date modified: