Corrections and Conditional Release Act (S.C. 1992, c. 20)
- HTMLFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act [707 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act [1274 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17 and last amended on 2022-06-23. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Agreements with provinces
16 (1) The Minister may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, enter into an agreement with the government of a province for
(a) the confinement in provincial correctional facilities or hospitals in that province of persons sentenced, committed or transferred to penitentiary; and
(b) the confinement in penitentiary of persons sentenced or committed to imprisonment for less than two years for offences under any Act of Parliament or any regulations made thereunder.
Marginal note:Effect of confinement
(2) Subject to subsection (3), a person who is confined in a penitentiary pursuant to an agreement entered into under paragraph (1)(b) is, despite section 743.1 of the Criminal Code, subject to all the statutes, regulations and rules applicable in the penitentiary in which the person is confined.
Marginal note:Release date
(3) The release date of an offender who is transferred to penitentiary pursuant to an agreement entered into under paragraph (1)(b) shall be determined by crediting against the sentence
(a) any remission, statutory or earned, standing to the offender’s credit on the day of the transfer; and
(b) the maximum remission that could have been earned on the balance of the sentence pursuant to the Prisons and Reformatories Act.
- 1992, c. 20, s. 16
- 1995, c. 22, s. 13, c. 42, s. 6
- 2012, c. 1, s. 56
- Date modified: