Trust and Loan Companies Act
Marginal note:Duty of intermediary
160.07 (1) Shares of a company that are registered in the name of an intermediary or an intermediary’s nominee and not beneficially owned by the intermediary may not be voted unless the intermediary sends to the beneficial owner
(a) a copy of the notice of the meeting, annual statement, management proxy circular and dissident’s proxy circular and any other documents, other than the form of proxy, that were sent to shareholders by or on behalf of any person for use in connection with the meeting; and
(b) a written request for voting instructions except if the intermediary has already received written voting instructions from the beneficial owner.
Marginal note:When documents to be sent
(2) The intermediary shall send the documents referred to in subsection (1) without delay after they receive the documents referred to in paragraph (1)(a).
Marginal note:Restriction on voting
(3) An intermediary or a proxyholder appointed by them may not vote shares that the intermediary does not beneficially own and that are registered in the name of the intermediary or their nominee unless the intermediary or proxyholder, as the case may be, receives written voting instructions from the beneficial owner.
(4) A person by or on behalf of whom a solicitation is made shall on request and without delay provide the intermediary, at the person’s expense, with the necessary number of copies of the documents referred to in paragraph (1)(a).
Marginal note:Instructions to intermediary
(5) The intermediary shall vote or appoint a proxyholder to vote in accordance with any written voting instructions received from the beneficial owner.
Marginal note:Beneficial owner as proxyholder
(6) If a beneficial owner so requests and provides an intermediary with the appropriate documentation, the intermediary shall appoint the beneficial owner or a nominee of the beneficial owner as proxyholder.
Marginal note:Effect of intermediary’s failure to comply
(7) The failure of an intermediary to comply with any of subsections (1) to (6) does not render void any meeting of shareholders or any action taken at the meeting.
Marginal note:Intermediary may not vote
(8) Nothing in this Part gives an intermediary the right to vote shares that they are otherwise prohibited from voting.
- 1997, c. 15, s. 348
- 2005, c. 54, s. 396
- Date modified: