Marginal note:Privileged communication
51.13 (1) A communication that meets the following conditions is privileged in the same way as a communication that is subject to solicitor-client privilege or, in civil law, to professional secrecy of advocates and notaries and no person shall be required to disclose, or give testimony on, the communication in a civil, criminal or administrative action or proceeding:
(a) it is between a trademark agent and their client;
(b) it is intended to be confidential; and
(c) it is made for the purpose of seeking or giving advice with respect to any matter relating to the protection of a trademark, geographical indication or mark referred to in paragraph 9(1)(e), (i), (i.1), (i.3), (n) or (n.1).
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the client expressly or implicitly waives the privilege.
(3) Exceptions to solicitor-client privilege or, in civil law, to professional secrecy of advocates and notaries apply to a communication that meets the conditions set out in paragraphs (1)(a) to (c).
Marginal note:Trademark agents — country other than Canada
(4) A communication between an individual who is authorized to act as the equivalent of a trademark agent under the law of a country other than Canada and that individual’s client that is privileged under the law of that other country and that would be privileged under subsection (1) had it been made between a trademark agent and their client is deemed to be a communication that meets the conditions set out in paragraphs (1)(a) to (c).
Marginal note:Individual acting on behalf of trademark agent or client
(5) For the purposes of this section, a trademark agent or an individual who is authorized to act as the equivalent of a trademark agent under the law of a country other than Canada includes an individual acting on their behalf and a client includes an individual acting on the client’s behalf.
(6) This section applies to communications that are made before the day on which this section comes into force if they are still confidential on that day and to communications that are made after that day. However, this section does not apply in respect of an action or proceeding commenced before that day.
Marginal note:Definition of trademark agent
(7) In this section, trademark agent has the same meaning as in section 2 of the College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents Act.
- 2015, c. 36, s. 66
- 2014, c. 20, s. 361(E)
- 2014, c. 20, s. 366(E)
- 2018, c. 27, s. 257
- Date modified: