Special Import Measures Act
Marginal note:Suspension of benefits
77.029 (1) The Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Finance and the Minister, may, by order, at any time after the expiration of 60 days, but in no case later than 90 days, following an affirmative finding against a CUSMA country by a special committee requested by Canada under paragraph 2 of Article 10.13 of the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement, suspend the application to that CUSMA country of such benefits under that Agreement as the Governor in Council considers appropriate in the circumstances.
(2) For the purpose of suspending the application to a CUSMA country of benefits under subsection (1), the Governor in Council may do any one or more of the following things:
(a) suspend rights or privileges granted by Canada to that country or to goods, service providers, suppliers, investors or investments of that country under the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement or an Act of Parliament;
(b) modify or suspend the application of any federal law with respect to that country or to goods, service providers, suppliers, investors or investments of that country;
(c) extend the application of any federal law to that country or to goods, service providers, suppliers, investors or investments of that country; and
(d) generally take such action as the Governor in Council considers necessary for that purpose.
Marginal note:Period of order
(3) Unless revoked, an order made under subsection (1) shall have effect for such period as is specified in the order.
(4) In this section, federal law means the whole or any portion of any Act of Parliament or regulation, order or other instrument issued, made or established in the exercise of a power conferred by or under an Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Order not a statutory instrument
(5) An order made under subsection (1) is not a statutory instrument for the purposes of the Statutory Instruments Act.
Marginal note:Action consistent with determination
(6) Whenever, after an order is made under subsection (1), the special committee referred to in that subsection makes a determination pursuant to paragraph 10(a) of Article 10.13 of the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement, the Governor in Council shall take action consistent with that determination.
- 1993, c. 44, s. 218
- 2020, c. 1, s. 95
- Date modified: