Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
28 (1) Where a spill or debris or an accident or incident related to any activity to which this Act applies occurs or is found in any area to which this Act applies and results in death or injury or danger to public safety or the environment, the Minister may direct an inquiry to be made, subject to the Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act, and may authorize any person that the Minister deems qualified to conduct the inquiry.
Marginal note:Mandatory inquiry
(1.1) Where a spill or debris or an accident or incident related to any activity to which this Act applies occurs or is found in any area to which this Act applies and is serious, as defined by regulation, the Minister shall direct that an inquiry referred to in subsection (1) be made, subject to the Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act, and shall ensure that the person who conducts the inquiry is not employed in a part of the federal public administration for which the Minister is responsible.
Marginal note:Power of persons conducting inquiry
(2) For the purposes of an inquiry under subsection (1), a person authorized by the Minister under that subsection has all the powers of a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act.
Marginal note:Compatible procedures and practices
(3) The person or persons authorized to conduct an inquiry under subsection (1) shall ensure that, as far as practicable, the procedures and practices for the inquiry are compatible with investigation procedures and practices followed by any appropriate provincial authorities, and for those purposes may consult with any of those authorities concerning compatible procedures and practices.
(4) As soon as possible after the conclusion of an inquiry under subsection (1), the person or persons authorized to conduct the inquiry shall submit a report to the Minister, together with the evidence and other material that was before the inquiry.
(5) A report made pursuant to subsection (4) shall be published by the Minister within thirty days after he has received it.
Marginal note:Copies of report
(6) The Minister may supply copies of a report published pursuant to subsection (5) in such manner and on such terms as he considers proper.
- R.S., 1985, c. O-7, s. 28
- 1989, c. 3, s. 46
- 1992, c. 35, s. 26
- 2003, c. 22, s. 128
- Date modified: