National Defence Act
Marginal note:Issue of warrants
157 (1) Subject to subsection (2), every commanding officer, and every officer to whom the power of trying a charge summarily has been delegated under subsection 163(4), may by a warrant under his hand authorize any person to arrest any other person triable under the Code of Service Discipline who
(a) has committed,
(b) is believed on reasonable grounds to have committed, or
(c) is charged under this Act with having committed
a service offence.
(2) An officer authorized to issue a warrant under this section shall not, unless the officer has certified on the face of the warrant that the exigencies of the service so require, issue a warrant for the arrest of any officer of rank higher than the rank held by the officer so authorized.
Marginal note:Contents of warrants
(3) In any warrant issued under this section, the offence in respect of which the warrant is issued shall be stated and the names of more persons than one in respect of the same offence, or several offences of the same nature, may be included.
Marginal note:Saving provision
(4) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to be in derogation of the authority that any person, including an officer or non-commissioned member, may have under other sections of this Act or otherwise under the law of Canada to arrest any other person without a warrant.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-5, s. 157
- R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), ss. 50, 60
- Date modified: