National Capital Act
Marginal note:Corporation established
Marginal note:Appointment of members
(2) Each member, other than the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairperson, shall be appointed by the Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, to hold office during pleasure for such term not exceeding three years as will ensure, as far as possible, the expiration in any one year of the terms of office of not more than one-half of the members.
Marginal note:Appointment of Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
(3) The Chairperson and the Vice-Chairperson shall each be appointed by the Governor in Council to hold office during pleasure for such term as the Governor in Council considers appropriate.
(4) The members, other than the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson, shall be appointed as follows:
(a) three, ordinarily resident in the National Capital Region, from local municipalities in Ontario, at least two of whom must be from the city of Ottawa;
(b) two, ordinarily resident in the National Capital Region, from local municipalities in Quebec, at least one of whom shall be from the section of the city of Gatineau that is west of the Gatineau River; and
(c) eight from Canada generally, other than from a city or municipality referred to in either of paragraphs (a) or (b).
(d) and (e) [Repealed, 2002, c. 17, s. 19]
(5) A member is eligible to be appointed from a local municipality if, at the time of the appointment, the member normally resides in that municipality.
(6) A person who has served two consecutive terms as a member, other than Chairperson, is not, during the twelve months following the completion of his second term, eligible to be re-appointed to the Commission in the same capacity in which the person served.
(7) A vacancy in the membership of the Commission does not impair the right of the remaining members to act.
Marginal note:Members not contributors for superannuation
- R.S., 1985, c. N-4, s. 3
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (4th Supp.), s. 44(E)
- 1995, c. 29, ss. 54, 55(E)
- 2002, c. 17, s. 19
- Date modified: