Canada Labour Code
Marginal note:Notification to employer — interruption for child’s hospitalization
207.2 (1) An employee who intends to interrupt their maternity or parental leave in order to return to work as a result of the hospitalization of his or her child shall provide the employer with a notice in writing of the interruption as soon as possible.
Marginal note:Employer’s decision
(2) The employer shall, within one week after receiving the notice, advise the employee in writing of the employer’s decision to accept or refuse the employee’s return to work.
(3) If the employer refuses the interruption or does not advise the employee within the week referred to in subsection (2), the leave under section 206 or 206.1 is extended by the number of weeks during which the child is hospitalized. The aggregate amounts of leave referred to in subsection 206.1(3) and section 206.2 are extended by the same number of weeks.
(4) The employer may, in writing and no later than 15 days after an employee’s return to work, require the employee to provide a certificate issued by a health care practitioner attesting to the child’s hospitalization.
Marginal note:End of interruption
(5) An employee who intends to return to their maternity or parental leave after an interruption shall, as soon as possible, advise the employer in writing of the date on which the maternity or parental leave is to resume.
(6) The extension referred to in subsection (3) applies only once in respect of the same child.
- 2012, c. 27, s. 7
- 2017, c. 20, s. 265
- 2018, c. 27, s. 473
- Date modified: