Canada Labour Code
14 (1) Subject to subsections (3) and (3.1), a panel of not fewer than three members, at least one of whom is the Chairperson or a Vice-Chairperson, may determine any matter that comes before the Board under this Act.
Marginal note:Equal representation
(2) Where a panel formed under subsection (1) is composed of one or more members representing employees, an equal number of members representing employers must also form part of the panel and vice versa.
Marginal note:Exception — single member
(3) The Chairperson or a Vice-Chairperson may alone determine a matter that comes before the Board under this Part with respect to
(a) an uncontested application or question;
(b) a question referred to in paragraph 16(p);
(c) a complaint made under subsection 97(1) in respect of an alleged contravention of section 37 or 69 or any of paragraphs 95(f) to (i);
(d) a request for an extension of time for instituting a proceeding;
(e) a preliminary proceeding; or
(f) any other matter, if the Chairperson determines that it is appropriate because of the possibility of prejudice to a party, such as undue delay, or if the parties consent to a determination by the Chairperson or a Vice-Chairperson.
Marginal note:Single person — Parts II and III
(3.1) The Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson or a member appointed under paragraph 9(2)(e) may alone determine a matter that comes before the Board under Part II or III.
Marginal note:Deemed panel
(4) The Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson or another member who determines a matter under subsection (3) or (3.1) is deemed to be a panel.
Marginal note:Powers, duties and functions
(5) A panel has all the powers, duties and functions that are conferred on the Board by this Act with respect to any matter assigned to the panel.
Marginal note:Chairperson of the panel
(6) The Chairperson is the chairperson of any panel formed under subsection (1) or, where the Chairperson is not a member of the panel, he or she designates a Vice-Chairperson to be the chairperson of the panel.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 14
- 1998, c. 26, s. 2
- 2017, c. 20, s. 325
- Date modified: