Insurance Companies Act
Marginal note:Place of records
262 (1) The records described in section 261 shall be kept at the head office of the company or at such other place in Canada as the directors think fit.
Marginal note:Notice of place of records
(2) Where any of the records described in section 261 are not kept at the head office of a company, the company shall notify the Superintendent of the place where the records are kept.
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of records of an office of the company outside Canada or in respect of customers of such an office.
(4) The records described in section 261, other than those described in paragraph 261(2)(c), shall at all reasonable times be open to inspection by the directors.
Marginal note:Access to company records
(5) A company’s shareholders, policyholders entitled to vote and creditors and their personal representatives may examine the records referred to in subsection 261(1) during the usual business hours of the company and may take extracts from them free of charge or have copies of them made on payment of a reasonable fee. If the company is a distributing company, any other person may on payment of a reasonable fee examine those records during the usual business hours of the company and take extracts from them or have copies of them made.
Marginal note:Electronic access
(5.1) A company may make the information contained in records referred to in subsection 261(1) available to persons by any system of mechanical or electronic data processing or any other information storage device that is capable of reproducing the records in intelligible written form within a reasonable time.
Marginal note:Copies of by-laws for shareholders
(6) Every shareholder of a company is entitled, on request made not more often than once in each calendar year, to receive free of charge one copy of the by-laws of the company.
Marginal note:Copies of by-laws for policyholders
(7) Every policyholder of a company who is entitled to vote at a meeting of policyholders or shareholders and policyholders of the company is entitled, on request made not more often than once in each calendar year, to receive free of charge one copy of the by-laws of the company.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 262
- 1997, c. 15, s. 229
- 2001, c. 9, s. 395
- 2005, c. 54, s. 265
- Date modified: