Employment Insurance Act
112 (1) The Governor in Council may appoint from among the judges of the Federal Court such number of umpires as the Governor in Council considers necessary for the purposes of this Act and, subject to this Act, may prescribe their jurisdiction.
Marginal note:Judges acting as umpires
(2) Subject to subsection (4), a judge or former judge of a superior, county or district court or a judge or former judge appointed under an Act of Parliament or the legislature of a province may, at the request of the chief umpire made with the approval of the Governor in Council, act as an umpire and, while so acting, the judge or former judge has all the powers of an umpire.
Marginal note:Consent required
(3) No request may be made to a judge without the consent of the chief justice or chief judge of the court of which the judge is a member, or, in the case of a judge of the court of a province, the consent of the attorney general of the province.
Marginal note:Approval of Governor in Council
(4) The Governor in Council may approve the making of the requests in general terms or for particular periods or purposes, and may limit the number of persons who may act under subsection (2).
Marginal note:Salary and travel allowance
(5) A judge or former judge who acts as an umpire shall be paid
(a) a salary for the period the person acts at the rate fixed by the Judges Act for a judge of the Federal Court, other than the Chief Justice of that Court, less any amount otherwise payable to the person under that Act for the period; and
(b) the travel allowances that a judge is entitled to be paid under that Act.
(6) An umpire may sit and hear appeals under this Act at any place in Canada.
Marginal note:Chief umpire
(7) The Governor in Council may designate one of the umpires to be the chief umpire.
(8) The chief umpire has supervision over and direction of the work of the umpires, subject to such rules as the chief umpire may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, make to regulate their work.
- 1996, c. 23, s. 112
- 1998, c. 19, s. 270
- 1999, c. 31, s. 81(F)
- 2002, c. 8, s. 135
- Date modified: