PART VIII.5Temporary Measures to Facilitate Access to Benefits
153.15 The following definitions apply in this Part.
- initial claim for benefits
initial claim for benefits has the same meaning as in subsection 6(1). (demande initiale de prestations)
- qualifying period
qualifying period in respect of benefits under Part I, has the same meaning as in subsection 6(1). (période de référence)
- waiting period
waiting period has
Rate of Unemployment
Marginal note:Rate of 13.1%
153.16 Despite section 17 of the Employment Insurance Regulations, if the later of the weeks referred to in subsection 10(1) begins during the period beginning on September 27, 2020 and ending on September 11, 2021, the regional rate of unemployment that applies to the claimant is 13.1%, if that rate is greater than the rate that would otherwise apply to them.
Marginal note:Course, program of instruction or non-referred training
153.161 (1) For the purposes of applying paragraph 18(1)(a), a claimant who attends a course, program of instruction or training to which the claimant is not referred under paragraphs 25(1)(a) or (b) is not entitled to be paid benefits for any working day in a benefit period for which the claimant is unable to prove that on that day they were capable of and available for work.
(2) The Commission may, at any point after benefits are paid to a claimant, verify that the claimant referred to in subsection (1) is entitled to those benefits by requiring proof that they were capable of and available for work on any working day of their benefit period.
Increase in Hours of Insurable Employment
Marginal note:Benefits under Part I
153.17 (1) A claimant who makes an initial claim for benefits under Part I on or after September 27, 2020 or in relation to an interruption of earnings that occurs on or after that date is deemed to have in their qualifying period
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a claimant who has already had the number of insurable hours in their qualifying period increased under that subsection or under this section as it read on September 26, 2020, if a benefit period was established in relation to that qualifying period.
153.171 A claimant who qualifies to receive benefits under section 7 and who received the additional 300 hours of insurable employment under paragraph 153.17(1)(b) may make a claim for benefits under sections 21 to 23.3, even if they are not a major attachment claimant as defined in subsection 6(1).
153.172 A claimant for whom, before the coming into force of section 153.17, a benefit period could have been established under section 8 of the Employment Insurance (Fishing) Regulations may make a request under section 112 in order to receive benefits under those Regulations rather than under section 7.
Extension of Qualifying Period
Marginal note:Recipients of emergency response benefit
(a) makes the initial claim for benefits on or after September 27, 2020 or in relation to an interruption of earnings that occurs on or after that date; and
(b) received, during the period mentioned in that paragraph, an employment insurance emergency response benefit referred to in subsection 153.7(1) or an income support payment under the Canada Emergency Response Benefit Act.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a claimant who has already had a qualifying period extended under that subsection or under this section as it read on August 29, 2020 or September 26, 2020.
Marginal note:Late claims
153.19 For the purposes of subsections 10(4) and (5), the fact that, but for sections 153.17 and 153.18 as they read on August 29, 2020, the claimant would not have qualified to receive benefits referred to in any of sections 22 to 24 is good cause for a delay in making a claim for those benefits.
153.191 (1) Despite sections 13 and 152.15, a claimant need not serve a waiting period if the claim is in respect of benefits under Part I, VII.1 or VIII and the benefit period begins on or before October 25, 2020.
Marginal note:Suspension of waiting period
(1.1) Despite sections 13 and 152.15, a claimant who receives benefits under section 21 or 152.03 need not serve a waiting period.
(2) The claimant may nonetheless serve the waiting period if they are entitled to receive a payment referred to in subsection 37(1) or 38(1) of the Employment Insurance Regulations during that period.
Rate of Benefits
Marginal note:Weekly insurable earnings
Marginal note:Self-employed persons
(2) Despite subsection 152.16(1), if a self-employed person’s benefit period begins on or after September 27, 2020 and the result obtained by dividing the aggregate of the amounts referred to in paragraphs 152.16(1)(a) and (b) by 52 is less than $909, the result is deemed to be $909.
(3) Despite paragraph 8.1(a) of the Employment Insurance (Fishing) Regulations, the weekly insurable earnings of a fisher whose benefit period begins on or after September 27, 2020 are deemed to be the greater of the amount determined under that paragraph and $909.
- Date modified: