Export and Import Permits Act
Marginal note:Keeping records
10.3 (1) Every person who applies for a permit, import allocation, export allocation, certificate or other authorization under this Act shall keep all records that are necessary to determine whether they have complied with this Act.
Marginal note:Minister may specify information
(2) The Minister may specify in writing the form that a record is to take and any information that the record must contain.
Marginal note:Language and location of record
(3) Unless otherwise authorized by the Minister, a record shall be kept in Canada in English or French.
Marginal note:Electronic records
(4) Every person required under this Act to keep a record who does so electronically shall ensure that all equipment and software necessary to make the record intelligible are available during the retention period required for the record.
Marginal note:Inadequate records
(5) If a person fails to keep adequate records for the purposes of this Act, the Minister may, in writing, require the person to keep any records that the Minister may specify, and the person shall keep the records specified by the Minister.
Marginal note:General period for retention
(6) Every person who is required to keep records shall retain them until the expiry of six years after the end of the year to which they relate or for any other period that may be prescribed by regulation.
Marginal note:Demand by Minister
(7) If the Minister is of the opinion that it is necessary for the administration or enforcement of this Act, the Minister may, by a demand served personally or sent by mail, require any person required under this Act to keep records to retain those records for any period that is specified in the demand, and the person shall comply with the demand.
Marginal note:Permission for earlier disposal
(8) A person who is required under this Act to keep records may dispose of them before the expiry of the period during which they are required to be kept if written permission for their disposal is given by the Minister.
- 2006, c. 13, s. 114
- Date modified: