Canada Business Corporations Act
Marginal note:Sale of constrained shares by corporation
46 (1) A corporation that has constraints on the issue, transfer or ownership of its shares of any class or series may, for any of the purposes referred to in paragraphs (a) to (c), sell, under the conditions and after giving the notice that may be prescribed, as if it were the owner of the shares, any of those constrained shares that are owned, or that the directors determine in the manner that may be prescribed may be owned, contrary to the constraints in order to
(a) assist the corporation or any of its affiliates or associates to qualify under any prescribed law of Canada or a province to receive licences, permits, grants, payments or other benefits by reason of attaining or maintaining a specified level of Canadian ownership or control;
(b) assist the corporation to comply with any prescribed law; or
(c) attain or maintain a level of Canadian ownership specified in its articles.
Marginal note:Obligations of directors in sale
(2) Where shares are to be sold by a corporation under subsection (1), the directors of the corporation shall select the shares for sale in good faith and in a manner that is not unfairly prejudicial to, and does not unfairly disregard the interests of, the holders of the shares in the constrained class or series taken as a whole.
Marginal note:Effect of sale
(3) If shares are sold by a corporation under subsection (1), the owner of the shares immediately before the sale shall by that sale be divested of their interest or right in the shares, and the person who, but for the sale, would be the registered owner of the shares or a person who satisfies the corporation that, but for the sale, they could properly be treated as the registered owner or registered holder of the shares under section 51 shall, from the time of the sale, be entitled to receive only the net proceeds of the sale, together with any income earned on the proceeds from the beginning of the month next following the date of the receipt by the corporation of the proceeds of the sale, less any taxes on the proceeds and any costs of administration of a trust fund constituted under subsection 47(1) in relation to the constitution of the fund.
Marginal note:Subsections 51(4) to (6) apply
(4) Subsections 51(4) to (6) apply in respect of the person who is entitled under subsection (3) to receive the proceeds of a sale of shares under subsection (1) as if the proceeds were a security and the person were a registered holder or owner of the security.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-44, s. 46
- 1991, c. 45, s. 552, c. 47, s. 720
- 2001, c. 14, ss. 28, 135(E)
- 2011, c. 21, s. 27
- Date modified: