Canada Business Corporations Act
Marginal note:Prohibited names
12 (1) A corporation shall not be incorporated or continued as a corporation under this Act with, have, carry on business under or identify itself by a name
(a) that is, as prescribed, prohibited or deceptively misdescriptive; or
(b) that is reserved for another corporation or intended corporation under section 11.
Marginal note:Directing change of name
(2) If, through inadvertence or otherwise, a corporation
(a) comes into existence or is continued with a name, or
(b) on an application to change its name, is granted a name
that contravenes this section, the Director may direct the corporation to change its name in accordance with section 173.
(3) [Repealed, 1994, c. 24, s. 7]
(4) If a corporation has a designating number as its name, the Director may direct the corporation to change its name to a name other than a designating number in accordance with section 173.
Marginal note:Undertaking to change name
(4.1) Where a corporation acquires a name as a result of a person undertaking to dissolve or to change names, and the undertaking is not honoured, the Director may direct the corporation to change its name in accordance with section 173, unless the undertaking is honoured within the period specified in subsection (5).
Marginal note:Revoking name
(5) Where a corporation has been directed under subsection (2), (4) or (4.1) to change its name and has not within sixty days after the service of the directive to that effect changed its name to a name that complies with this Act, the Director may revoke the name of the corporation and assign a name to it and, until changed in accordance with section 173, the name of the corporation is thereafter the name so assigned.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-44, s. 12
- 1994, c. 24, s. 7
- Date modified: